all those ground wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ox110

when using romex cable when there are multiple cables entering the same nm switch box how should the grounds be spliced together as well as terminate on all devices. I will use a specific example: when six type nm cables enter a three gang plastic box where one double switch and two single pole switches will be installed. Is it ok to splice the six plus the three ground wires for the devices under one wirenut. Or do they make a green wirenut that allows mulitiple grounds to come out of it and if they do than there must be different sizes. I cant stand looping the ground thru mulitiple devices as one continous wire.

Volta

You also can't likely find a wirenut rated for that many wires. You can make two splices, each with half the wires or so and wire a jumper between them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can use the big blue wirenuts or break the grounds into two groups with a jumper between them.

You could put all the grounds from the nm cables together with a short piece that has all the pigtails to the devices.

kwired

Electron manager
If you only need two tails to devices slip a piece of wire thru the green nut with even lengths out each end and then insert the remaining grounds from cables entering the box. If a third tail is needed stick it in there also.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
In a situation like that, I use the Buchanan crimp sleeves. Just leave three long tails for the devices and cut the remaing EGC's short and crimp.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually (almost always) leave a single long EGC through the greenie to loop switch to switch.

Note: On the other hand, I never loop the hots; I always pigtail them.

ox110

I always use a grey or blue and leave as many tails as needed for the devices. I was just checkin on some different ideas so thanks for all the replys. The greens are nice because you can lay the wire in the box nice. Hey just had a idea- I could put a grey in a vise a drill out the top with a good size drill bit for the extra wires. I could set up a small factory in my garage and become rich finally. Thank for the replys.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Hey just had a idea- I could put a grey in a vise a drill out the top with a good size drill bit for the extra wires. I could set up a small factory in my garage and become rich finally. Thank for the replys.

A violation of 110.3 (B)

ox110

Tom: Whats the violation? Something to do with altering the equiptment. Always something raining on my parade (ha ha). I will check the section out thanks

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Tom: Whats the violation? Something to do with altering the equiptment. Always something raining on my parade (ha ha). I will check the section out thanks

Yeah, when you alter a product, you violate the UL listing that it received in it's true form. You'll have to make your first million another way.

iwire

Staff member
I usually (almost always) leave a single long EGC through the greenie to loop switch to switch.

Note: On the other hand, I never loop the hots; I always pigtail them.

OK got it.

I am sure there is some logical electrician idiosyncrasy to explain that. :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK got it.

I am sure there is some logical electrician idiosyncrasy to explain that. :grin:
No, just mine. :cool: Have you ever had to replace a switch that was loop-wired, say, with a dimmer that has wires?

It's easier to either wirenut to the existing pigtail, or remove the pigtail and put the dimmer's wire in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.