Allen Bradley 1336 plus 2 sensorless vector

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Customer has a used AB-VFD they wanted installed. The thing is the size of 1200a switchboard. The customer says it was purchased at an auction and works. I installed the 3phase circuit and wire in the motor. I turned on vfd and I got "NOT Enabled +0.00 Hz." I dont have a manual to set parameters. I want to get input from anyone who has had this issue or experience with these drives. I tried setting some parametters on controller but I cant seem to set anything. The troubleshooting manual already tells me to replace control board with this issue. would like to hear if anyone has had experience with these drives

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What are the chances of getting tech support if you are not the original purchaser from a dealer?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is no more Tech Support for 1336 drives, they stopped making them as new in 2002 and the parts to fix them are not even made by the component mfrs any more. It was obsolete in 2009 and the "last buy" for spare parts was in 2014. They can't even be repaired any more, at least not officially by A-B. You can find repair shops that will fix them, but they are using used parts scavenged from other dead drives, so you are taking chances with it, meaning it's usually not worth it when you compare against just buying a new drive with a new warranty.

A-B had a program of offering users who had them a rebate to upgrade to newer models, that program ended in 2015. But what happened is that a lot of A-B distributors didn't follow through with the buyers to turn in their old drives like they were supposed to, so people started selling them on eBay and Amazon and it's still happening.

kwired

Electron manager
Customer has a used AB-VFD they wanted installed. The thing is the size of 1200a switchboard. The customer says it was purchased at an auction and works. I installed the 3phase circuit and wire in the motor. I turned on vfd and I got "NOT Enabled +0.00 Hz." I dont have a manual to set parameters. I want to get input from anyone who has had this issue or experience with these drives. I tried setting some parametters on controller but I cant seem to set anything. The troubleshooting manual already tells me to replace control board with this issue. would like to hear if anyone has had experience with these drives
My guess is there is an input terminal that needs a signal for "enable" feature before it can run. Some the input features may be changeable through program parameters though, so you need to know both parameter information as well as how to wire depending on which features are enabled.

I just googled 1336 drive user manual - there is still documents on line if you have none, first hit on my list was user manual for 1336 PLUS II

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
There is no more Tech Support for 1336 drives, they stopped making them as new in 2002 and the parts to fix them are not even made by the component mfrs any more. It was obsolete in 2009 and the "last buy" for spare parts was in 2014. They can't even be repaired any more, at least not officially by A-B. You can find repair shops that will fix them, but they are using used parts scavenged from other dead drives, so you are taking chances with it, meaning it's usually not worth it when you compare against just buying a new drive with a new warranty.

A-B had a program of offering users who had them a rebate to upgrade to newer models, that program ended in 2015. But what happened is that a lot of A-B distributors didn't follow through with the buyers to turn in their old drives like they were supposed to, so people started selling them on eBay and Amazon and it's still happening.

Thanks for heads up

kwired

Electron manager

My guess is the distributor was responsible for disposing it. By not taking it back they saved themselves some headache and $$. After enough time went by client eventually gets rid of it, if it still works or has some good parts why not sell it?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My guess is the distributor was responsible for disposing it. By not taking it back they saved themselves some headache and $$. After enough time went by client eventually gets rid of it, if it still works or has some good parts why not sell it?
No doubt. The distributors were told to dispose of them “with extreme prejudice” (my words actually, they were just told to destroy them). But what I think was happening was that in a lot of places, you had to pay a disposal fee for electronics, so they just never collected them. If I were an end user and nobody told me what to do with it, I’d try to get something out of it too.

I also know for a fact that some distributor salesmen collected them from customers, then sold them on eBay themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.