Aluminum balusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRTT

I have a wood deck rail with aluminum balusters within 5 ft of an in-deck spa. The balusters are insulated from one another and from the ground by wood railing. Are there any bonding requirements for the aluminum balusters?
Thanks.

The NEC requires metallic parts within 5 ft of the pool to be bonded to the Equipotential Bonding Grid.
Your case is very interesting, as there are metallic parts, but they do not have contact with any other bonded parts or to the earth. The NEC cannot forsee all types of installations, and this is one they may not have thought of. I agree that the best way to resolve this is to talk to the AHJ who can see them and make a good field decision.

tshea

This comes to mind...an inspector in one of the adjacent counties required the aluminum storm window to be bonded, but offered no explanation of "how to" to the EC.
The EC called the state (the official AHJ) and was told because the storm window was not in contact with the earth and was unlikely to become energized it was not necessary to bond.
Now I have to think how many ECs bonded aluminum storm windows because the inspector said so? And how did they do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.