Aluminum branch circuit conductors for EVSE

nizak

Would like opinions on the following proposed install.
Planning on installing 60’ #1 SE aluminum cable. It will run from the load center to a j box and then transition to #3 copper and run 35’ to a disconnect mounted at the equipment.

This circuit will feed a 80 amp level 2 and will be protected with a 100A breaker.

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sounds logical to me.

Would it make sense to install a sub-panel instead of the J-box for future use, and maybe larger wire?

Curious: no neutral needed?

nizak

Sounds logical to me.

Would it make sense to install a sub-panel instead of the J-box for future use, and maybe larger wire?

Curious: no neutral needed?
No neutral is required. Due to the routing of the cable through and out of the basement my j box is actually going to end up being outside and then feed back into the garage.

It’s a very difficult run from A to B

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Can't you strip the sheath off the SER for 35' and then use a cable clamp at the end of the raceway run as a transition fitting from the cable type wiring method to the raceway type wiring method, without any splice?

Cheers, Wayne

nizak

Can't you strip the sheath off the SER for 35' and then use a cable clamp at the end of the raceway run as a transition fitting from the cable type wiring method to the raceway type wiring method, without any splice?

Cheers, Wayne
I suppose I could.