Aluminum cable service for lighting ballast circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

Are there any issue that arise from an properly terminated aluminum cable in an splitter feeding panels that are drawing a 38kw load? Copper is connected to the lighting contactor and the load, but it is on 2/3 of the day and i am wondering if torquing down the terminals in the splitter is necessary quite often? Is it better to use fused disconnects or thermal breakers acceptable when loaded 80%. Thanks again!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are there any issue that arise from an properly terminated aluminum cable in an splitter feeding panels that are drawing a 38kw load? Copper is connected to the lighting contactor and the load, but it is on 2/3 of the day and i am wondering if torquing down the terminals in the splitter is necessary quite often? Is it better to use fused disconnects or thermal breakers acceptable when loaded 80%. Thanks again!

Properly sized and terminated AL conductors are fine in whatever application. The only exception I would say is if there is movement or vibration. I think AL conductors are more likely to have issues with vibration and/or movement.

IMO, retightening of conductors is rarely if ever required if they were properly tightened in the first place.

I don't think it matters much whether you use fuses or CBs as long as they are properly applied. Personally, i do not like fused disconnects because when the fuse blows finding a replacement might be an issue since they tend to blow at very inopportune times.

Status
Not open for further replies.