Aluminum conduit supported with steel strut straps and unistrut

zappy

Will you get a reaction between these different metals, or are these two metals safe to touch. Thank you for your help.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
yeah, it's a very corrosive environment. Do they make aluminum strut straps and aluminum unistrut?
Yes they do. If this an area that steel raceways are not suitable why would you consider using steel supporting hardware?

In normal installations steel and aluminum is mixed frequently.

zappy

Yes they do. If this an area that steel raceways are not suitable why would you consider using steel supporting hardware?

In normal installations steel and aluminum is mixed frequently.
It's an old installation from years ago my boss noticed it. He wants us to change the straps and the unistrut.

zappy

It's an old installation from years ago my boss noticed it. He wants us to change the straps and the unistrut.
I guess it was mixed because maybe he ran out of aluminum straps and strut? So you're saying mixing aluminum and steel is done frequently? I can't understand why it would be done. If you running in aluminum, there's a reason.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I guess it was mixed because maybe he ran out of aluminum straps and strut? So you're saying mixing aluminum and steel is done frequently? I can't understand why it would be done. If you running in aluminum, there's a reason.
I did one job that specified aluminum just because the engineer thought the labor would be cheaper.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
... If you running in aluminum, there's a reason.
Not necessarily. Sometimes the reason is just 'that's what they had' or 'it was cheaper'. Particularly true of FMC, more than other types conduit. But with FMC aluminum is definitely mixed with steel hardware all the time.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Think about die-cast aluminum fittings, aluminum hubs, steel MC fittings/straps with aluminum MC.

If the existing hardware is in good condition there is no reason to change it. If the hardware is badly corroded then a suitable replacement should be installed.

norcal

Think about die-cast aluminum fittings, aluminum hubs, steel MC fittings/straps with aluminum MC.

If the existing hardware is in good condition there is no reason to change it. If the hardware is badly corroded then a suitable replacement should be installed.
Die cast fittings are zinc.

zappy

So all we got a stainless steel strut straps so he wants me to put 10 mil tape. Just give them what they want.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Read the last part of 344.14 and then have your boss read it. Al conduit and raceways are regularly in contact with steel in commercial settings.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
FWIW aluminum with stainless fasteners is standard in the solar industry for array racking exposed to the elements. It even gets listed for grounding. I think someone is overreacting.

zappy

FWIW aluminum with stainless fasteners is standard in the solar industry for array racking exposed to the elements. It even gets listed for grounding. I think someone is overreacting.
where I work is extremely corrosive in certain areas