Aluminum or copper ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I was asked if aluminum used as a feeder for a heavily loaded agricultural panel for long durations become a problem? I did read that annual maintenance is a good way to deal with "cold flow" ...maybe it's just not worth using? i'd be interested in hearing feedback from experience... maybe to save $$ a torque wrench is the solution with tightening aluminum cable?

jrannis

It is interesting that our power distribution is aluminum but as soon as it enters a building people pull out all of the historical myths about cold flow, maintenance and re-torque theories. Read up on modern day aluminum alloy cables and get back to us on this..:thumbsup:

BTW,
I think the installation would be just fine with aluminum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Modern day aluminum does not have the same characteristics as the aluminum wire of past years. No-lox is not even needed with the new material but I can't make myself not use it. :D

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You're not supposed to retorque lugs unless you cut the end off the conductor and reterminate it. Frequent torqueing causes the lug to start biting through the conductor.

powerplay

You're not supposed to retorque lugs unless you cut the end off the conductor and reterminate it. Frequent torqueing causes the lug to start biting through the conductor.

Exactly.... i was told that with heavy switched lighting loads for agriculture, the short periods of off time and long periods of on time require yearly mainenance(tightening). if this were to be done the aluminum wire would be flattened eventually?? It was said the copper would not expand with the lug as well, but can be torqued on properly to prevent loosening and not flatten with mainenance??

Status
Not open for further replies.