aluminum residential wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

dferrara

i have a friend who is buying a 25 year old house
with aluminum wiring. he wants to know what would
be a safe way to deal with this problem. i suggested arc fault breakers. is there anything else that could be done that might be a little cheaper.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: aluminum residential wiring

The problems are usually in the devices. There are approved methods to convert Al to copper pigtails.
I haven't considered the use or Arc Fault breakers for that application.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I recommend the AFCI breakers. Recently upgraded a service, with alum branch circuits, and installed AFCI's on all alum branch circuits.

Only one circuit had a problem. First using a standard GFCI tester the outlets on this circuit checked fine, But after installing the AFCI tester the breaker tripped. Just by plugging any device in the outlet the breaker would trip, the AFCI protion.

It helped me find a flying splice that I would not have otherwise found.

Just a thought.

Mike P.

Sir,
Your friend may also want to check the outlets and switches in the house to see if they are 'co/alr' or 'cu/al'. While he's at it, he could ensure that each receptacle is rated for the appropriate amount of amperage. If he does this work himself, he amy also want to be sure that he sizes the breakers appropriatly to the gauge of branch circuit wiring. One size up in guage over copper to keep it from overheating (12 ga. aluminum to a 15 amp breaker, 10 ga. aluminum to a 20 amp breaker, ect) I'm not an electrician, but he may want to consult one to be sure he dosen't burn his new home to the ground or some other terrible thing. Takk, Joe B.

Status
Not open for further replies.