Aluminum wire and mechanical set screw connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

teej

We manufacture equipment that has UL/CSA Listed tin plated aluminum set screw connectors that are rated for copper and aluminum up to 250MCM wire size. I have a customer who claims that the screws stripped out on several connectors when he was trying to tighten down on aluminum stranded wire (4/0). I told him that there is a torque limit to the screws and I am sure they are tested by UL and CSA for aluminum wire of that size. He claimed that the screw stripped before it even made a dent in the wire. I could never replicate his claims with the connectors in the factory. Since he is in area with extreme temp fluctuations, (-40 to 90 Degrees) he also insists that he needs to torque more than the label. Has anyone experienced this with aluminum wire before? Perhaps he is not using standard AA-8000 series aluminum wire? If he is correct, or if I can't convince him he's wrong, I thought of suggesting that he use pin type connectors to put on the end of the aluminum wire. Basically, those are UL listed crimp on caps with stranded copper ends. I figure the copper would be much softer and he wouldn't feel the need to torque beyond the limit. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with anything similar. Thanks.

K2500

The lugs are stripping before it even makes a dent in thhe wire?

Could it be that the set screw and luge are seizing and galling before they are reachinig the conductor? that could be the reson for the excess torque as well.
I have had this issue before, but it is easy prevented by applying noalox or similar compound to threads before use. which is now standard procedure for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.