Am I Class 1 Div 2 compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geigerr

I am building an enclosure that will be hosting vary of different electrical components for this instrument I am building. There will be a purge system attached to the enclosure to keep a constant positive pressure. The enclosure will be a stainless steel Nema 4x box. In the door, I am mounting a panel touchscreen computer that is rated Nema 4x/IP66. The chassis of the computer will be inside the enclosure. Outside of the enclosure will be a touchscreen monitor that is protected by 0.125" plexiglass with a 304 SS bezel. This piece of equipment will be placed in Class 1 Div 2 environment, will this be complaint?

Also, I am looking for a USB receptacle to mount on the door that is Class 1 Div 2 compliant, so I can plug a intrinsically safe USB memory stick to download data from the computer.

Just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Robert

P.S. I am new to the field

Rsteenson

Check out 501.105 (b)....depending on exactly what type of devices you are installing I do believe you will need an enclosure rated for class 1 div 1 (expolosionproof). Ive worked in quite a few bulk loading terminals and I dont believe I have ever seen a 4x enclosure in a div 2 location with any kind of relays or devices. Also I have never seen an intrinsically safe USB Port before? Id be intersted in hearing if they do exist.

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Actually there are ways that you can use positive pressure purging to accomplish what you are doing however the enclosure will require listing as such. It is the same for taking an explosionproof panel and building your own control panel. It has to be listed as such and you cannot simply put anything you want in an explosionproof box and call it C1D1 or C1D2. So yes a NEMA 4X enclosure that is purged with the correct equipment and listed for the purpose can be used.

johnmccoll

I agree with rtsHenson on the enclosure as to the usb port, I have not seen one that is listed. We get around this by connecting RS232, at a remote connection outside the boundary. You could do the same thing and install a remote usb connection if that is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.