American Electrician's Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livin'Free

Is this book worth getting? I'm scheduled to take the NH Journeyman's exam soon, and this book is listed as being one of the sources for some of the questions in the second half of the exam. You are also allowed to bring the book in with you.

I don't think I've ever personally used this book.....and it'll set me back $60...no big deal if it's worth it, but i don't want to buy it if I don't need it.

Thanks....

mark32

Hi there, I bought mine on ebay for, if I remember correctly, $45 including shipping. The book is loaded with info, no question about it, but after taking two electrical exams (Journeyman and master in FL) I don't believe this book helped me much, maybe on one or two questions. I love technical books on theory and calculations, but this book is dry to me and doesn't go into much detail. Despite it's size, it didn't touch on some topics that interested me at the time, such as a corner grounded delta system. Just recently I sold it on ebay because I didn't feel I had a use for it. I think it sold for about what I paid. Good luck.

wire jerk

I paid around $70 on ebay for mine. When it arrived I thought what a waste of money but two weeks before exam time I began finding answers in it that until then had eluded me. I tabbed it some and then used it somewhat in the exam. Between 2 and 5 times at least. To me 2-5 answered questions was worth every penny. But you decide what it is worth to you. Becides even if its not in the exam the book may teach you something you didn't know.

Good luck either way with the exam.

Last edited:

Livin'Free

Thanks for the input.....$60 is worth it if it will help with a few questions for sure. The book didn't get good reviews on Amazon, that's why I asked here.

Thanks

peter

I got my copy from Amazon.com.
It needs some good editing. Some of it was written during the 1920s, like using a hand crank telephone to check for voltage or continuity. Not really useful now.
It doesn't have charts to tell you the outside dimension of conduits which would be useful in determining what size hole to drill.
But if it helps you get a few more questions right...
~Peter

peter d

peter said:
It needs some good editing. Some of it was written during the 1920s, like using a hand crank telephone to check for voltage or continuity. Not really useful now.

I agree, it has some ancient graphics and a lot of outdated information. I do enjoy it for the historicity, but I don't consider it a good study guide for an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.