American English

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshea

The code has gotten better since I picked up my first book, 1972 edition. However, there is still a long ways to go to make each article state the positive in clear American English language. I have had to re-read some of the sentences a number of times to get what was trying to be not done. Instead, the sentence should be in the positve tone, clear and concise.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: American English

tshea,

I think many folks (me included) would agree with your comment, but it is not the intent of this forum to address it directly.

Technically, the NEC is written in "legislative" text and what you are commenting on is actually a "Manual of Style" (MOS) issue. It is, however, the intent of the MOS to make NFPA documents clearer. Changes in the MOS are made more frequently than many people recognize and suggestions are made directly to the NFPA Standards Council.

If there is a specific NEC Section you believe you could make clearer, write a "proposal" here for it and we will do our best to assist. Many successful "formal" Proposals are based on conforming poorly written "Code" text to the latest MOS.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: American English

Tshea, a change that was accepted for the 2005 Cycle was to add horizontal lines to table 250.122 to make it easier to read. Also for abandoned cable it was "shall not be permitted to remain" was changed to "shall be removed".

Status
Not open for further replies.