amount of time from bid to contract to mobilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyha

here in the last 6 - 8 months or so it seems that the projects we have been awarded are taking forever to go from the acual bid to us comming on the job. is anyone else having this issue. I mean we have some projects that we bid in february and we are still waiting on the contract. now granted we did get the oportunity to reivse our price due to copper going up and light fixture manufact having an across the table price increase of 8 - 13% (which we actually split the cost with our vendor and raised the bid 100% of the increase). it is just not good when you tell everyone including my employees and vendors and subs that hey we just got this job and its pretty sweet so gear up and 2 months later they are like whats the deal I thought we got this job.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Have a few similar

Have a few similar

We've had a few over the last couple of months like that. Bid 'em, get'em, and wait for 'em.

I have one right now that I bid on June 5th of last year. I got the job. They still haven't broken ground yet. We did re-route the POCO's primary on this job from under the house to the perimeter of the lot. But, that has been the only work done.

nyerinfl

I have one job that I got July 07. Tomorrow will be my first day on the job setting up some temp power, rough starts monday. Got my NOC, contract and deposit this week. Didn't think this job would ever happen but here it is.

teco

We have some large jobs that we won months ago. Just begining to start some of them now. We also had to revise the bids due to materials increases. From talking to purchasing people to dept managers I keep hearing the same thing. They don't want the large cost of some of these projects to offset their quarter numbers etc. Its all about the money and the shareholders. At least it is in my world. Companies aren't spending and this funnels down to everyone. IMO.

hardworkingstiff

Bright side

Bright side

I choose to look at it as the companies were scared to death to start the project, but now things are looking better and the toes are going into the water. Maybe in 6-months, we will all be fairing better.

benaround

tyha,

I hope I'm not the first to tell you this, ' We are entering a recession ' the

banks are tight with money, people are getting laid off from airlines to auto

workers, the construction industry has laid off tons of people. Jobs will take

longer to get out of the ground.

hardworkingstiff

benaround said:
tyha,

I hope I'm not the first to tell you this, ' We are entering a recession ' .........

I don't know. I think we are bottoming. A recession would require a continuation of the downward spiral. There is more to this economy than building homes.

Don't get me wrong, it will be tough going, but I believe things are improving.

wamegojim

benaround said:
We are entering a recession ...

I don't really belive this either. Most econimists will tell you a recession can only be called by looking back. Predicting one is impossible. The reason is to actually use the term recession has certain measurements that have to be met. From what I understand it is tough to measure the future.

See this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recession

To the OP, we have about 10M in backlog. Part of that was bid in March and probably won't breakground until July or August. Part of the reason is it is design/build so we have to go through some design process.

tyha

wamegojim said:
To the OP, we have about 10M in backlog. Part of that was bid in March and probably won't breakground until July or August. Part of the reason is it is design/build so we have to go through some design process.

That intresting, because I didn't know of a company in nc that did 10M in design build a year.
and as far as the recession, we surpassed last year 2q sales and invoices in mid may

dduffee260

hardworkingstiff said:
"Stocks rise following jobs report, retailer data NEW YORK (AP) -- Wall Street surged Thursday as investors looked past a sharp rebound in oil prices and focused on comforting news about the economy -- better-than-expected retail sales and a drop in the number of laid-off workers seeking unemployment benefits."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080605/business_highlights.html?.v=1

Did you see what happened to the markets Friday? I actually sold all the stock in my account at 2:00 pm Thursday when the market was up 160 points. Some people may say it was good timing, actually I grew tired of stressing over it and decided to just dump it while it was up and take a break. Talk about luck. About the only thing I really watch close now is copper.

As far as the economy, I do believe it may get worse unless oil stabilizes back down below $100. There is no way that airlines, auto factories, and the general public can handle the price that high. It will have to slow down. This is just MHO and by no means am I a financial guru.

By the way the subject was time, we bid a job last October for 1.2 million, we should get a contract this month, I will have to see what happens with copper and see if we have to increase. I really wanted to hold firm but looking now it may be mandatory.

hardworkingstiff

dduffee260 said:
Did you see what happened to the markets Friday? I actually sold all the stock in my account at 2:00 pm Thursday when the market was up 160 points. Some people may say it was good timing, actually I grew tired of stressing over it and decided to just dump it while it was up and take a break.

Yes, it was brutal. Everything I own went down. I might have to work an extra year. :mad:

I would say you have great timing. Maybe you should start day-trading (or at least often-trade).

Where will the money go (from the stocks you sold)?

dduffee260

hardworkingstiff said:
Yes, it was brutal. Everything I own went down. I might have to work an extra year. :mad:

I would say you have great timing. Maybe you should start day-trading (or at least often-trade).

Where will the money go (from the stocks you sold)?

Actually I just got in a few weeks back. I thought about putting some money on copper futures. If wire goes up, I make money off futures. If wire goes down, we make money from cheaper wire. It sounds like a utopian idea, but I know it is not as peachy as it sounds. If we lose money from the copper futures I believe it is a write off from our taxes because the commodity is related to our industry. I am not sure but I am looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.