ampacity of 2.5mm wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbolen

What is the largest breaker that can be installed on 2.5 mm wire.

Art 240.4 restricts the size on #14 to 15 amp breaker even if THHN @ 90 C says it is rated at 25 in art 310.15

ampacity of 2.5mm wire

kwired

Electron manager
Funny thing is in countries that use SI units for everything, the conductor size is in SI units which is primarily a base 10 system but their standard overcurrent devices are not base 10 type settings. They have 16 and 32 amp overcurrent devices - not sure if there is a standard rating in between those two. I would not be surprised if the 2.5 mm is considered a 32 amp conductor outside the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Funny thing is in countries that use SI units for everything, the conductor size is in SI units which is primarily a base 10 system but their standard overcurrent devices are not base 10 type settings. They have 16 and 32 amp overcurrent devices - not sure if there is a standard rating in between those two. I would not be surprised if the 2.5 mm is considered a 32 amp conductor outside the NEC.

That is very possible but since the op stated 310.15 I assumed NEC. Not sure why he has 2.5 mm wire.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
While the NEC "tries" to go metric, it does not recognize metric sized wire. Technically, using metric-sized wire on a project under NEC purview is a violation.

kwired

Electron manager
That is very possible but since the op stated 310.15 I assumed NEC. Not sure why he has 2.5 mm wire.
Not sure why he has 2.5 mm wire either. If not also marked in AWG there is a good chance it is not a conductor type mentioned in 310.104 and is not a NEC recognized conductor anyway.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not sure why he has 2.5 mm wire either. If not also marked in AWG there is a good chance it is not a conductor type mentioned in 310.104 and is not a NEC recognized conductor anyway.

that would appear to me to be the correct answer.

I don't see anything inherently unsafe with using metric sized wire that is not to US or NEC standards, and selecting an appropriate OCPD based on the cross sectional area of the wire. However, just because it is not inherently unsafe to do so, does not make it a good idea, as there is nothing you can point to in any recognized standards that supports doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.