Ampacity of SO cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does someone have a good chart to begin sizing large SO cable?

My specific issue now is sizing 200 amps (service rating) of five wire 480. Open air service feeding a custom heavy truck trailer.
3/0 is gonna be crazy heavy.
The better cords I have seen are fine strand like DLO and I want to make sure I take advantage of this fact. My length is only 50'. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

buddhakii

In a situation like this could you use heavy duty generator cables with the pin and sleeve connector's? Not sure where to find ampacity for those type of cables. Probably somewhere in the nec, I just don't know what the code letters are.

wireguru

I too am for SC or type W cable and camlock connectors..

I would not want to be the guy paying for, or having to move, 50' of 5 conductor 3/0 with a 200a 5 wire pin and sleeve on the end of it.

iwire

Staff member
In a situation like this could you use heavy duty generator cables with the pin and sleeve connector's? Not sure where to find ampacity for those type of cables. Probably somewhere in the nec, I just don't know what the code letters are.

As Chris pointed out .......:smile:

The ampacity of flexible cords and cables can be found in 400.5(A) and Tables 400.5(A) and (B).

Thanks guys, pretty much confirming what I thought. I use the 5100 pin and sleeve on my under 100 amp trailers and use Hubbell cam locks on the rest but this trailer has to power up at existing P&S shore terminals. I usually do ok in my NEC code book but all the multi conductor flexible cable types have my head spinning, thanks again for you support!

Rick Christopherson

Thanks guys, pretty much confirming what I thought. I use the 5100 pin and sleeve on my under 100 amp trailers and use Hubbell cam locks on the rest but this trailer has to power up at existing P&S shore terminals. I usually do ok in my NEC code book but all the multi conductor flexible cable types have my head spinning, thanks again for you support!
I don't know what is available above the 100 amp 5100 (blue P&S) (125 A IEC Red version) but keep in mind that it almost takes 2-men to carry a 50 foot coil of this cord. (This cable is unaffectionally referred to as horse**** in the field). For anything larger than 100 amp, you really do not want it to be a multi-conductor cable.

realolman

...My specific issue now is sizing 200 amps (service rating) of five wire 480. Open air service feeding a custom heavy truck trailer.
3/0 is gonna be crazy heavy....

Jeff

Just curious... I know it's none of my business, but... could you be more specific about the load you're feeding ?

Thanks guys, yes, I use pin & sleeves on my under 100 amp trailers and cam locks and DLO on the larger ones, this trailer however needs to hook up to existing 200 amp P&S receptacles...I went ahead with the 3/0 and will have to deal with it. The good news is this will only be moved a few times a year at most. Thanks again! :)

What's the actual type of the cable you're using? "DLO" isn't a recognised type (table 400.4), and although it's often multi-typed as RH/RHH/RHW, I can't see how even that wouldn't be allowed for this type of installation. You really should use either W or SC typed cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.