An example of why I wish I was able to pull a contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lle

No kidding...

Sometimes I just have to shudder and move on....

EC
Can I use the bare conductor of my wire for my traveller in the smoke detector circuit so I don't have to use three wire?

ME
Uh.....no.

EC
Can I use it as my neutral?

ME
Uh.....no.

EC
Why not?

Me
Do you own a NEC code book?

No kidding.

He didn't like my answer so he called the other inspector who said....."Uh....no".

Then the same EC called later in the day and wanted to know why he had to use a box to mount a ceiling fan since you could use the canopy to hide all the wires. He just wanted to screw the fan bracket onto the joist.

He thinks we're (us inspectors) being hard on him.

And I can't do anything about this.....YES he has a license....but didn't have to take an accredited test. We just changed the city's ordinances which make that clear for a license to work in the municipality, but there is nothing I can do about those existing today.

physis

Re: An example of why I wish I was able to pull a contractor

I read half of your post and I don't like it either.

One of the general contractors I work for has as two of the three necessary licenses needed to be a general contractor:

Tile setting.
Painting.
I don't remember if there even is a third. (I can look it up, I have in the past).

But this guy can erect structures.

It seems his first priority is always, finding ways to NOT meet code.

I think it's important to realize that most of purpose behind licensing is revenue generation.

I know, everybody's been told it's safty. I can only speak for California. But here, it's the dough, not the safty.

Edit: I almost forgot. And so we don't get ripped off by unscrupulous crooks. I don't have statistics, but in my limited experience, the likelyhood of being ripped off increases with state licenced contractors. And our law put the contractee in a very volnerable position, if anyone bothers to read the light grey small print on the back. That I believe (I may be wrong here) is mandated to be there in the precise minimally visible fashion as prescribed by law. Just so no one gets ripped off.

[ May 15, 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

southernboys

hey guys just to let you all know how bad it is down here in rural alabama all you need is 23 dollars to be an ec in the county and 100 in two of the three big cities in that county. no experirnce neccesary I sent in my 18 year old kid brother to see if they would question him nope 23 dollars and hes an ec. why the hell did I spend 4 years in apprentiship school oh yea so I could have a hs teacher tell me how to do my job what a joke I think you should have to have 4 years as a jman before you can get your masters and you shoul need 4 years to get your jman cause there aint no way you seen it all in 2-3 years just my opinion

aelectricalman

I wish I were an inspector myself, sometimes. I went into a job to fix a range that was not heating. I get to the site, look at the range, test it, everything pans out. Upon further inspection I turned on all burners, oven on broil, and interior light on. Nothing, the breaker held. Huh, so I go down to the basement and inspect the panel. The EC before me put a 60 amp breaker on the range and a 10 gauge wire. We'll it was not the problem, evern though that is a problem. The range was defective. The point is, the range was a six burner range, rated for 65 Amps. Needed an 80amp breaker and the EC put it on a 10-2 wire. Ok, first it was a 4 wire system. Not a 3 wire system, and what about the wire size? I wish I could pull this guys license. I walked downstairs again and felt the wire. It was hot. At that point, I told the resturant owner that I needed to change out the wire and breaker before I do anything else in the building. She refused and I walked on a $2000 job. I hated to do it, but I was not going to have the place burn right after I finish. :eek:

southernboys

chris wise decision no sense in giving her opportunity to hold you liable there will always be a bigger and better job that presents a lot less problems let her call the original idiot back definitely needs his license [license} ha I doubt it pulled

dillon3c

Chris,
Might be a good idea to drop-a-dime on this "restaruant establishment".Not out of spight,but in need for safety to the general public at large.You could be saving a life sir..

aelectricalman

That was actually my next question. This job did not get inspected. Should I tell the inspections bureau. I've told the resturant owner. I walked on her, and she won't talk to me now, because she thinks im out to get her when i told her of this. Also, I might add that this range was piggy backed to the 60 amp breaker. Would I be in any fault for not going back? How should I deal with this so that someone doesnt get hurt? Thanks for help.

physis

I really think that people simply don't believe us. Like we're pulling their leg for a buck. That and they're cheap.

Using this 10 AWG wire for a 65 amp range as an example.

People would never in a million years knowingly let an electrician get away this but when it's up to them they would never in a million years pay to do it right.

Edit: Well, some people.

[ May 16, 2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

dillon3c

Chris,
There are laws that Inspection Departments can and will invoke,with a Magistrates signiture,that will halt this restaurant establishment from operating,till minimal requirements and guidelines of the NEC are met.

From what you have stated,I can't see the authority,in the allowing, and granting her said so may days to comply.

I does sound like a hefty safety issue,and we could be talking about many patrons,packing into this commercial establishment,while this range is in use, being one of their primary source of income.

We need to assume, range will be operating at capacity for long periods of time,and for as long as the doors are open, operating for business...

[ May 16, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

Status
Not open for further replies.