An Odd Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
How old do you think this is? It's a 1000W mogul base incandescent lamp.

8f37ade4.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I can't answer your question but I will tell you some of the guys in our shop took down some old pole lights for an athletic field and they were 1500w incandescent!! I'd never heard of anything bigger than 300w at that point...:cool:

That's a lot of power for one light bulb!!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
As a "projection" lamp, the filament is diliberately clustered to present a near point source of light for a set of optics that would concentrate and shape the beam of light.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't answer your question but I will tell you some of the guys in our shop took down some old pole lights for an athletic field and they were 1500w incandescent!!
I have one. Let me get it out of retirement and take a pic.

i was curious as to the age of your lamp so i did some research on it. not saying what you have is the same as what i found but mazda lamps can be found in the 1927 Bausch & Lomb catalog. Mazda was a trademarked name created by the Shelby Electric Company for incandescent light bulbs. The name was used from 1909 through 1945 in the United States by Shelby and later General Electric; Mazda brand light bulbs were made for decades after 1945 outside the USA. The company chose the name due to its association with [Ahura] Mazda, the transcendental and universal God of Zoroastrianism whose name means "[Wise] Lord " in the Avestan language.

In 1909 the Mazda name was created for the Shelby Electric Company's new high end product: tungsten filament light bulbs. The brand was continued after Shelby was purchased by General Electric in 1914 due to its brand recognition and association with higher quality tungsten filament bulbs. General Electric also licensed the Mazda name, socket sizes, and tungsten filament technology to other manufacturers in order to set a standard for lighting. Bulbs were soon sold by many manufacturers with the Mazda name attached, including their chief competitor Westinghouse. The company advertised their new tungsten bulb standard with paintings by Maxfield Parrish.

The company dropped the campaign in 1945 in the face of competition from Japan.[citation needed] Today, the Mazda name is mostly associated with the Mazda automobile manufacturer of Japan. The Mazda trademark is now split between the Japanese manufacturer where it applies to automobiles (including automobile lights and batteries) and General Electric for non-automotive uses.

wireguru

i have a burned out (which is rare as they usually explode when they burn out) 20KW (yes. 20,000 watts) incandescent lamp. Used in huge motion picture lights. Very, very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.