Anesthetizing areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryin

Question, If there is flammable anestethics in containers, in a ventilated area would this still be considered as a CL1 div 1 as shown in 517.60 (1) or would we want to classify it as a Class1 Div 2 based upon the containers in a ventilated area ?
There is no indication of how well ventilated the area is, it just says Flammable anesthectics in closed containers in a ventilated area

RB1

Because 517.60(A)(2) is an occupancy specific requirement, I don't think it is permissable to modify the classification of the area.

tryin

Rb1

Rb1

Thats what was confusing me, the specific requirements in Hospitals lable it a Cl1 Div1, but the question (practice test) used Flammable,containers and ventilated in the wording, Would the correct answer be Class1 Division1 regardless of the container wording?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You generally have to go by the most stringent requirment. In this case, it would be 517.60, and IMO, yes the location would be Class 1 Div 1.

My understanding is that flammable anesthetics are not used at all in the US, but there still may be some in use in third world countries. Sounds like they could update their test.

Steve

RB1

Steve, I don't think it has anything to do with the most stringent requirement. I think it has to do with a specific requirement for this type of occupancy.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
RB1 said:
Steve, I don't think it has anything to do with the most stringent requirement. I think it has to do with a specific requirement for this type of occupancy.

In this case I agree, since 517.60 is both more stringent and more specific.

But I would be very careful about assuming a more specific section overrides more general sections. I think one could find some logic where that can cause some incorrect interpertations.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you have to comply with all parts of the code. 517.60 doesn't allow you to ignore 500.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.