angle pulls box sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey guys got a problem with box size for angle pulls. we are pulling 4 500mcm with a 2 awg ground. currently we have mounted pull boxes of 24x24x6.We are coming in the bottom and out the back. They way i read 314.28(A)(2) it says minimum distance between raceways must be 6 x the pipe dia in this case 4". That would mean that you would have to maintain a spacing" betwwen raceways" of 24 inches wich in our case is at this time about 18 inches. We are coming in ths bottom and out the back above the botoom entry.It would seem that to me that the only way you could get your 24 inches would be to come in one corner on the bottom and out the back diagonally from the bottom entry.
My contention is that we need a 36x36 box to have enough room to get our 24" "between raceways".

Maybe one of you can send me in the right direction with this. Abit confusing and have so far talked to 3 other electricians and get 3 different versions of whats what.
Thanks guys

roger willis

Re: angle pulls box sizing

You are correct in that you need no less than 24 inches between the raceways. The 36" by 36" would give you correct distance.

Roger

bob

Joe
I know you know that the code give you only the minimum requirements. Consider a bigger box than the minimum.
300.34 require that you maintain a bending radius of 8 time the cable diameter. You can't get that in a 6 inch deep box.

[ July 16, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: bob ]

G

Bob # 20

Do you also agree with Roger on the distance requirement? Thanks for the input on bending radius, we have now installed 36x36x11 CT cams for pulling.

Thanks again,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.