Another AFCI question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm looking into a circa 1960/70,s single family residence. They have an old circuit breaker panel that I cannot not make out the manufacturer, the painter spray painted the interior of the panel (buss, lugs, everything) before the breakers were installed and no labeling on the interior of the cover.
My question, is it code compliant to offset nipple into a box with an AFCI dead front or receptacle from the panel to feed an existing branch circuit that we will be adding to. ( existing wiring is fine NM, full size EGC ).
I'm not replacing the panel because of the owners financial situation.
Thanks for your input!

I'm looking into a circa 1960/70,s single family residence. They have an old circuit breaker panel that I cannot not make out the manufacturer, the painter spray painted the interior of the panel (buss, lugs, everything) before the breakers were installed and no labeling on the interior of the cover.
My question, is it code compliant to offset nipple into a box with an AFCI dead front or receptacle from the panel to feed an existing branch circuit that we will be adding to. ( existing wiring is fine NM, full size EGC ).
I'm not replacing the panel because of the owners financial situation.
Thanks for your input!
Sure. Or you can even put an AFCI recep at the first outlet of the existing circuit. 210.12(A)(5) and 210.12(B)(2). (2014, not sure if things have been shifted around 2017 or 2020).

I would be careful putting an existing circuit on AFCI however. I would mock it up and make sure it holds for a few days.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sure. Or you can even put an AFCI recep at the first outlet of the existing circuit. 210.12(A)(5) and 210.12(B)(2). (2014, not sure if things have been shifted around 2017 or 2020).

I would be careful putting an existing circuit on AFCI however. I would mock it up and make sure it holds for a few days.

Can the outlet device handle the interrupting current considering those breakers are older?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Parellel arc faults just start at 75 amps.
So when multiple AFCI breakers trip in the same panel, due to the same event, is 75+ Amps flowing thru each breaker?

No. Zero Amps may flow thru Adjacent AFCI breakers, but they still trip together.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
So when multiple AFCI breakers trip in the same panel, due to the same event, is 75+ Amps flowing thru each breaker?

No. Zero Amps may flow thru Adjacent AFCI breakers, but they still trip together.

Sadly AFCIs can't discriminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.