Another California C-10 exam question

Status
Not open for further replies.

catronics

[SIZE=-2] [SIZE=-1] When can smoke detectors be wired in series?

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE] [/SIZE]
checkmark.gif
[SIZE=-2]
selectC1.gif
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]when installed in the kitchen and hallway[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]when installed in the garage and work-shop area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]when installed in the bathroom and kitchen[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]wherever there are multiple smoke detectors[/SIZE]
Huh? It's not "D"?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
[SIZE=-2] [SIZE=-1] When can smoke detectors be wired in series?

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE] [/SIZE]
checkmark.gif
[SIZE=-2]
selectC1.gif
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]when installed in the kitchen and hallway[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]when installed in the garage and work-shop area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]when installed in the bathroom and kitchen[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]wherever there are multiple smoke detectors[/SIZE]
Huh? It's not "D"?

What a horrid example question. Are there any fire alarm installers actually sitting on the governing body? The short answer to the question is "None of the above". First, I suppose they actually mean smoke alarms. Smoke detectors are system devices and they are wired in parallel, like so many outlets. Smoke alarms are wired similarly via pigtails. See here for Kidde's installation instructions.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You have to remember that it's California. I would have answered "D" as being the most logical considering that they are obviously talking residential, they would be smoke alarms and how they must be interconnected. If there was a "None of the Above" I would assume system smoke detectors and chosen that answer.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You have to remember that it's California. I would have answered "D" as being the most logical considering that they are obviously talking residential, they would be smoke alarms and how they must be interconnected. If there was a "None of the Above" I would assume system smoke detectors and chosen that answer.

-Hal

But even smoke alarms aren't wired in series. They are wired in parallel.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The only way to make sense of this question is to observe:

1. This is a residential installation ergo
  2. Smoke detector means smoke alarm ergo
  3. Series means interconnected ergo
  4. There is an answer given "Whenever there are multiple smoke detectors" which would be the correct answer.

-Hal

catronics

What a horrid example question. Are there any fire alarm installers actually sitting on the governing body? The short answer to the question is "None of the above". First, I suppose they actually mean smoke alarms. Smoke detectors are system devices and they are wired in parallel, like so many outlets. Smoke alarms are wired similarly via pigtails. See here for Kidde's installation instructions.

I really didn't think any of these things were acually wired in series - that just doesn't make sense. I just thought they were referring to the alarm signal wire that travels along the line, in series. All the responses have been great. Thank you, one and all!

Status
Not open for further replies.