Another Energized Manhole Cover Electrocution

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone heard about an about an accidental electrocution death caused by a frayed wire coming in contact with a manhole lid? The incident happened to a child who stepped on the manhole lid and then touched a nearby fence. I believe the area or city was Gallatin.

paul

Re: Another Energized Manhole Cover Electrocution

No, I didn't hear about that. I snapped this one at Tulalip a month ago. At the time, they didn't want to replace the cover to this street lighting handhole. :roll:

DSC04248.JPG

mc5w

Cleveland Public Power's 480 volt streetlighting circuits toasted 2 people back in the 1908s and 1990s.

The first instance was that a metal handhole cover became energized and somebody stepped on it while it was raining at night.

The second instance was that a crew from USA Today drilled into a 480 volt streetlighting conduit while installing a newspaper vending machine. Since the circuit was deenergized during the daytime there were no sparks to alert this crew. The next time that it was raining at night one of USA Today's customers ended up looking at the bottom side of the grass. CPP was found not at fault in this instance because the conduit was "Code" depth beneath the sidewalk. NEC burial depth underneath a public sidewalk is totally inadequate.

There was also an instance where a bus shelter was somehow not grounded correctly and became energized by 120 volts.

vasparky27

recently i was zapped by the halogen light that i bought at a hardware store the outled i plugged into was ungrounded YEUOCH!

physis

Paul,

That cover looks extremely inadequite. Is it UL approved?

paul

Yes, it's UL approved. Trouble is that they were doing construction and ran a backhoe and other equipment over the top of it. It's not traffic rated and it's located in what's going to be grass. But as of now, it is open to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.