another fire blamed on electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

Some kind of short circuit but we don't know where or really how many kinds of short circuits there are but it was one of them. All I really know is you put the hook up end of the hose here on this thingy in the street and you use the other end to control the water with the water control dealy-bob. We done got that there fire out.

MAK

URL]

Here is some kind of short circuit.:D

480sparky

Amazing. A house blows itself off the foundation, and it takes months to determine it was a gas leak. But since the wiring was energized and was damaged, it's electical and therefore must be sooooo obvious! :mad: :mad: :mad:

EBFD6

bikeindy said:
Some kind of short circuit but we don't know where or really how many kinds of short circuits there are but it was one of them. All I really know is you put the hook up end of the hose here on this thingy in the street and you use the other end to control the water with the water control dealy-bob. We done got that there fire out.

Give us firefighters a little more credit than that!

I have a 6 electrical lic.- MA master, MA journeyman, NH master, VT master, CT journeyman, RI journeyman.

I also am Firefighter I/II certified and a lic. EMT-B.

Out of all the exams I have taken the EMT was the most difficult, with the FF I/II a close second.

I passed every electrical exam on the first try.

As hard as it may be for some to believe, some fires actually are caused by electricity. I was at an electrical fire on Friday. I Know because I am an electrician and saw the point of origin with my own two eyes (it was blatantly obvious). Just because the officer being interviewed cannot pinpoint the exact point of origin at the second he is being interviewed, doesn't mean it wasn't electrical in nature.

That being said, determining the cause of a fire is extremely difficult and requires years of specialized training. Usually the quotes that you read in the paper or see on the news are from regular firefighters or fire officers and not from the fire investigators who are the ones that actually determine causation. As such you should not read too much into the "guess" that you hear quoted as it is usually not the wording that appears on the official report of the Fire Marshal's office.

mdshunk

EBFD6 said:
Usually the quotes that you read in the paper or see on the news are from regular firefighters or fire officers and not from the fire investigators who are the ones that actually determine causation.
Then that's the Chief's fault. He should tell his guys to keep their mouth's shut because they're making you all look like fools.

That said, feel free to blame anything at all on electrical causes. Makes professional electricians in more demand.

ItsHot

electrical fires

electrical fires

EBFD6 said:

I have a 6 electrical lic.- MA master, MA journeyman, NH master, VT master, CT journeyman, RI journeyman.

Out of all the exams I have taken the EMT was the most difficult, with the FF I/II a close second.

As hard as it may be for some to believe, some fires actually are caused by electricity. I was at an electrical fire on Friday. I Know because I am an electrician and saw the point of origin with my own two eyes (it was blatantly obvious). Just because the officer being interviewed cannot pinpoint the exact point of origin at the second he is being interviewed, doesn't mean it wasn't electrical in nature.

That being said, determining the cause of a fire is extremely difficult and requires years of specialized training. Usually the quotes that you read in the paper or see on the news are from regular firefighters or fire officers and not from the fire investigators who are the ones that actually determine causation. As such you should not read too much into the "guess" that you hear quoted as it is usually not the wording that appears on the official report of the Fire Marshal's office.
I appreciate all firefighters. I would guess there is probaly more volunteer fireman in this country than paid firefighters. Does being an electrician make you qualified to determine a cause of a fire??? I am not sure on that??? I asked in a post here about the number one cause of dwelling fires. Many said that it was cooking.Yes there are:-? many fires started from electrical, but it seems that it is always a quick jump to guess that the fire is always electrical!

cschmid

EBFD6 said:

why all the journeymans if you have masters? is that not just giving extra cash to the state? I also bet the EMT is the least among the pay areas as well..

peter d

EBFD6 said:

Since you seem to have some firsthand knowledge of this, what is the breakdown of electrical fires that are caused by premises wiring, temporary wiring, and appliances?

tonyou812

mdshunk said:
Then that's the Chief's fault. He should tell his guys to keep their mouth's shut because they're making you all look like fools.

That said, feel free to blame anything at all on electrical causes. Makes professional electricians in more demand.
And makes our work and licensing all more important in the eyes of Mr John Q Public

EBFD6

mdshunk said:

You are absolutely correct, it is a huge problem and something that is stressed in most recruit training classes is DO NOT SPEAK TO THE MEDIA!

The only person who should make comments to the press is the public information officer or the Chief.

Another big problem with misinformation is the fact that the press is allowed to get close to the scene and they take every word they "overhear", take it as gospel and then report on it. Sometimes the "quotes" that you read were not intended to be "quotes".

It would be the equivalent to someone telling the customer every thought that goes through your head while troubleshooting a problem before you come up with the actually problem.

I'm not saying that some "electrical fires" aren't misidentified.

Fire investigators are human just like, electricians and electrical inspectors. Both of whom we all know are 100% correct all the time.:roll:

EBFD6

ItsHot said:
Does being an electrician make you qualified to determine a cause of a fire??? I am not sure on that???
I am not qualified to determine the cause of fires, I am not a certified fire investigator. My point was that some electrical fires are actually electrical and I have seen them first hand.

cschmid said:
why all the journeymans if you have masters?

the only state I hold both is MA, and that is because MA requires that you maintain both. Masters is a business lic only, if you actually do work you need a journeymans.

peter d said:
Since you seem to have some firsthand knowledge of this, what is the breakdown of electrical fires that are caused by premises wiring, temporary wiring, and appliances?

unfortunately I do not know those statistics and I think you hit the nail on the head. As far as firefighters are concerned, those all qualify as "electrical fires", where we as electricians see these as completely separate issues. The general public doesn't know enough to differentiate.

peter d

EBFD6 said:
unfortunately I do not know those statistics and I think you hit the nail on the head. As far as firefighters are concerned, those all qualify as "electrical fires", where we as electricians see these as completely separate issues. The general public doesn't know enough to differentiate.

Thanks, that's what I was getting at. I think the actual number of fires caused by premises wiring is very low compared to fires caused by cords, lamps, heaters, etc.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
peter d said:
Peter,
No one knows that as most fires are not investigated by a trained investigator. In many cases they are only looked at the first due company officer when he writes his report. He is under a lot of pressure not to put down "unknown" as the cuase.

macmikeman

These guy's often are the actual cause, but it becomes impossible for even the best of the fire inspectors to pinpoint that due to the damage done to the evidence of the actual cause.
rat2.jpg

bikeindy

EBFD6 said:

Why? I know lots of firefighters and I don't give them much credit. My quote was directed at the guy in the story. The fire was just out and he called it a short. Hello.... McFly.

EBFD6

bikeindy said:
Why? I know lots of firefighters and I don't give them much credit. My quote was directed at the guy in the story. The fire was just out and he called it a short. Hello.... McFly.

I know alot of electricians, and they say alot of stupid things also.

Like most anything else in life, there is more to it than meets the eye.

I would hope you would be smart enough to understand that, but I have been wrong before.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
tonyou812 said:
And makes our work and licensing all more important in the eyes of Mr John Q Public

My reaction to that was similiar. How many customers, or friends for that matter talk about how scary electricity is? I always hear, "blah blah blah I don't want to get shocked blah blah I don't want to cause a fire blah blah" and so on.

Luckily NOBODY is willing to try life without electricity in their home. That will help support our lifestyles. Maybe someday in the future -but not now- people will stop using electricity. Let's hope that day comes at least a hundred years into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.