Another Fire Pump Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

necnotevenclose

I posted an earlier question 'Multiple Switchboards, One Fire Pump'. While my question may not have been as straight forward as it could have been I appreciate everyone's feedback.

My new fire pump question is: Do fire pumps and generators go hand in hand? My interpretation of the code is that fire pumps are a part of life safety there fore you need at least a stand-by generator to accomadate the fire pump load. Is my interpretation correct or notevenclose?

sceepe

necnotevenclose said:
I posted an earlier question 'Multiple Switchboards, One Fire Pump'. While my question may not have been as straight forward as it could have been I appreciate everyone's feedback.

My new fire pump question is: Do fire pumps and generators go hand in hand? My interpretation of the code is that fire pumps are a part of life safety there fore you need at least a stand-by generator to accomadate the fire pump load. Is my interpretation correct or notevenclose?
Not that close. You definatly do not HAVE to have a fire pump. The NEC and the AHJ leave it up to the PE to decide. The codes require the power to the fire pump to be "reliable". However, that term is not defined in any quantitative way. I have never gotten a AHJ to say what is relaible (99%, 99.9%, 99.99999%). So the PE is left holding the bag (and the liability) for saying how good the utility power feed is.

I will get a downtime summary report from the POCO for the last 2 years. If it better than 98%, I will ask the owner if he wants a generator. If he will direct me in writing to omit the generator, I will. If I can't get it in writing or if the POCO report is less than 98%, the fire pump gets a generator.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
sceepe,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you don't have to have a fire pump? I think you actually meant you don't have to have a generator, which I will agree with, completly.

Utilizing 659.3(A)(1) is a very good alternative, and usually quite easy to accomplish, especially if you don't have adequate space for a generator.

Another option, which dumps it back onto the mechanicals, is to convince them to use a diesel engine driven fire pump, thereby eliminating the electrical issue all together.

necnotevenclose

sceepe said:
Not that close. You definatly do not HAVE to have a fire pump [did you mean generator?].

The NEC and the AHJ leave it up to the PE to decide. The codes require the power to the fire pump to be "reliable". However, that term is not defined in any quantitative way. I have never gotten a AHJ to say what is relaible (99%, 99.9%, 99.99999%). So the PE is left holding the bag (and the liability) for saying how good the utility power feed is.

I will get a downtime summary report from the POCO for the last 2 years. If it better than 98%, I will ask the owner if he wants a generator. If he will direct me in writing to omit the generator, I will. If I can't get it in writing or if the POCO report is less than 98%, the fire pump gets a generator.

Seems like the documentation you request may be sufficient. I might try and take it a step further and see if the POCO and AHJ could provide me with a letter stating the power is reliable and that a generator is not required.

Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.