Another Generator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat75

Occupation
Electrician
I've got a customer that asked me to provide a quote for a 20 kw generator and xfer switch.
I'm not a gen dealer so my question is....what kind of genset and switch are non dealer contractors using and prefer? Which suppliers are you using as well?
I encouraged the customer to seek out a contractor that can supply, install and provide service as required....but he insists i give him a number. He's a long term customer that's always been happy with my work, I guess that has something to do with it.
Thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I would be more adamant about having them call a generator dealer.

When something breaks, they will be at the back of the line for parts & repair if you sell & install. With you not being a dealer, the manufacturer's aren't going to give you tech support, nor will they sell you parts.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Kind of depends on your area.

Around here, only “dealers“ are Platt Electric, and a HD 2 hours away.

Platt will not recommend a contractor.

Every electrical contractor in the county will install generators. They usually service the electrical side, and a couple mobile mechanics service the engine side.

Pat75

Occupation
Electrician
I would be more adamant about having them call a generator dealer.

When something breaks, they will be at the back of the line for parts & repair if you sell & install. With you not being a dealer, the manufacturer's aren't going to give you tech support, nor will they sell you parts.
Exactly.

kwired

Electron manager
Some the "dealers" still won't do the complete installation, will want an electrician to wire up the genset and transfer equipment and want certified gas installer to run gas lines/install propane tanks, etc. but they might come start it up the first time make any fine tune adjustments if needed at that startup and tell owner how to use it and perform some the routine maintenance on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.