Another generator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyRob

Hey guys. I am installing a interlock system generator set up and my question is, do they make something to show you if the power comes back on to the main service? like a pilot switch or something? Home owner lives in the middle of the sticks and is looking for an easy way to tell. Thanks!

ceb58

Hey guys. I am installing a interlock system generator set up and my question is, do they make something to show you if the power comes back on to the main service? like a pilot switch or something? Home owner lives in the middle of the sticks and is looking for an easy way to tell. Thanks!

You could tap the line side going into the main breaker and install a keyless fixture with a in-line fuse. Mount the box and fixture on or next to the panel.

iwire

Staff member
You could tap the line side going into the main breaker and install a keyless fixture with a in-line fuse. Mount the box and fixture on or next to the panel.

To do this code compliantly would require a second service rated disconnect switch just for the light.

kbsparky

Many utilities now use a digital watt-hour meter for measuring consumption. While the display is blank, power is out. Once the display is restored, so is the power. :p

kwired

Electron manager
You can connect: Instrument transformers (current and voltage), impedance shunts, load management devices, surge arresters, and Type 1 surge-protective devices ahead of service disconnect. (230.82(4))

Just make sure whatever you want to connect will fall into one of these categories. 230.94 exception 3 covers overcurrent protection for this.

(2008 NEC)

iwire

Staff member
You can connect: Instrument transformers (current and voltage), impedance shunts, load management devices, surge arresters, and Type 1 surge-protective devices ahead of service disconnect. (230.82(4))

Just make sure whatever you want to connect will fall into one of these categories. 230.94 exception 3 covers overcurrent protection for this.

(2008 NEC)

IMO a lamp for this purposes is not included in 230.82, of course that should be obvious as I suggested a service disconnect be added.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO a lamp for this purposes is not included in 230.82, of course that should be obvious as I suggested a service disconnect be added.

Lamp probably not. How about a panel mounted volt meter? (don't put it in the panel cover though, even if not a violation you don't need the resulting umbilical cord from the panel to the cover.)

iwire

Staff member
Lamp probably not. How about a panel mounted volt meter? (don't put it in the panel cover though, even if not a violation you don't need the resulting umbilical cord from the panel to the cover.)

Maybe, but by the time you buy a volt meter, place it outside the panel and find a way to legally provide OCP (don't foget code requires disconnects ahead of fuses) for it you will likely have spent more money and time than just setting a service rated 30 amp fused disconnect with an indicator lamp on it or beside it.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't forget the user will still have to come check periodically to see if power has returned. Installing the 30 amp disconnect and a light someplace where it will be seen sooner may be desired.

This is for people living in remote areas. Those that live in cities or villages probably have many indications power is back on, like the neighbors lights come on, street lights come on, etc. If the outage is limited to your house only, the POCO will be right there when making repairs, or at least to turn you back on if not paying the bill is reason for the outage:D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Don't forget the user will still have to come check periodically to see if power has returned. Installing the 30 amp disconnect and a light someplace where it will be seen sooner may be desired.

That's easy to remedy, along with a light install a siren.

2T22Gray-300.jpg
;)

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Move one of the homes existing circuits over to the second disconnecting means. :thumbsup:

Or go Roger's route so the whole town will know the power is back on. :p

JoeStillman

You could also run the light circuit through an aux contact in the genset control panel so the light only comes on when you have a "generator running" condition. Then you won't have to remember to turn it on and off every time.

kwired

Electron manager
You could also run the light circuit through an aux contact in the genset control panel so the light only comes on when you have a "generator running" condition. Then you won't have to remember to turn it on and off every time.

In that scenario chances are we are talking about an automatic transfer switch and there will be no need for the indicator light in the first place, it will automatically transfer back when utility comes back as well as shut generator down automatically.

iwire

Staff member
In that scenario chances are we are talking about an automatic transfer switch and there will be no need for the indicator light in the first place, it will automatically transfer back when utility comes back as well as shut generator down automatically.

I agree with Joe, this being a manual transfer set up it makes great sense.

I believe he is saying come from the utility source, run through the generator run contacts and to the load. (Not sure small generators have run contacts but a simple relay driven from the generator would provide them.)

In this way the indicator light (or whatever) will only operate when the generator is running when the utility is available.

Shut off the generator the light goes out and is saved for when it is needed. Lets face it a 24/7 pilot light is wasteful and usually burned out when you need it.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will leave the main service to a pull out disconnect and then to a fuse to feed a box with a light and toggle switch.

Remember this disconnect would need rated suitable for use as service equipment. That leaves out many of the inexpensive AC disconnects if that is what you had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.