Another high-leg delta problem

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My shop is fed by open delta and I have large load banks in said shop. 25+50 KVA transformers. Only problem is the main panel is Zinsco braided bus and I don't want to mess with it. But it already has a 70 amp 3 phase circuit that I could connect a load bank to.

Wayne, if you want to explain in very small words how I would go about finding the phantom pot, I would love to do this test. If I can find the time.
Could you maybe find it by putting a large three phase load on the service, turning everything else off, and measuring the voltage drop?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Could you maybe find it by putting a large three phase load on the service, turning everything else off, and measuring the voltage drop?
Per the middle case in posts 45 and 49, if I did my math right, that wouldn't work very well.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
There's not a key on a standard keyboard character for it, but I'm sure Wayne meant that < would represent the angle, ( ∠ using the 2220 Unicode symbol) and the number following it would be in degrees.
Just teasing, but he's smart enough to understand what is up in that calculation but can't figure out how to use the character map on his computer? :)