another megger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

what voltage should i test romex,thhn and other common insulation found in the construction industry. id like to use my megger to test MC,BX,romex, thhn, triplex. the voltages i work with is 120/240 120/208 277/480

mdshunk

I guess Brian has the textbook answer, but I've never felt especially compelled to test a conductor or cable at more than twice operating voltage. That is to say, it is unlikely that a cable with a 600 volt rating, that is being used on a 120/208 system today, will be suddenly be put to a use at 277/480 tomorrow. I would feel comfortable using a cable that "failed' a 1000 volt test at 120/208 if it would "pass" a 500 volt test. I put pass and fail in quotes because there doesn't seem to be clear agreed mark under which the results will necessarily condemn the cable.

nakulak

-make sure you read the literature that came with your megger
-never test a conductor at a voltage higher than its rating (this might seem like a no-brainer, but . . .)

electricalperson

this insulation testing process seems to be pretty complicated..i read so many online manuals and pdf pages and most of them are all different. im having a hard time understanding what proper voltage and ohm reading i should get

nakulak

Last edited:

electricalperson

we used an ac hi pot tester to test a 25kv cable. we used 60kv and it blew the load break up because of water seeped into the dielectric. so i take it the hi pot test can be pretty destructive i just dont want to ruin a good cable because the voltage was too high

micromind

The very few times I've had a cable or termination fail a hi-pot test, I was extremely thankful that the test didn't invlove a high energy system. Like closing it onto the grid.
Believe me; there's a huge difference between a little 'pop', and a loud 'BLAM'.

Status
Not open for further replies.