Another Neutral Bonded to Generator question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. On a GFI protected generator which has neutral bonded, does someone have a wiring diagram on the cord to inlet on transfer switch?

Is it as simple as not attaching the neutral white wire on the cord or on the inlet?

I read it has to be a special Transfer Switch?cant we use a regular TS like this one?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hey guys. On a GFI protected generator which has neutral bonded, does someone have a wiring diagram on the cord to inlet on transfer switch?

Is it as simple as not attaching the neutral white wire on the cord or on the inlet?

I read it has to be a special Transfer Switch?cant we use a regular TS like this one?
No, do not leave the neutral loose in the cord.
Either take the neutral to ground bond out in the generator or get a transfer switch that switches the neutral.

No, do not leave the neutral loose in the cord.
Either take the neutral to ground bond out in the generator or get a transfer switch that switches the neutral.

Yup, thanks, I'll pick up the right transfer switch instead of messing with generator and possibly voiding warranty. So much info online makes it confusing sometimes.

I found this helpful info

MCp1oMch.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you use a 3 pole transfer switch and switch the neutral you will need to install a GES for the generator. IMO removing the neutral bond in the generator is a better idea but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to deal with the potential warranty issues. On my Generac generator it was as simple as removing a cover and unbolting a ring terminal something that easily be reversed in a few minutes.

If you use a 3 pole transfer switch and switch the neutral you will need to install a GES for the generator. IMO removing the neutral bond in the generator is a better idea but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to deal with the potential warranty issues. On my Generac generator it was as simple as removing a cover and unbolting a ring terminal something that easily be reversed in a few minutes.

Thanks. Talked to a Reliance tech and he said it's rare the 30A plug is GFI protected but he has seen 2 models that have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.