Another pool shock

Arent the pool pumps suppose to be gfci protected per NEC? is this true?

Five swimmers in Indiana were electrocuted in what police described as a "freak accident" in a swimming pool Sunday afternoon.

Officers, fire and medical personnel responded to a home in the 2600 block of High St. just after 2:30 p.m. in the town of Logansport, Indiana, police said.

Police said five people – including two adults and three juveniles – were transported to local hospitals for their injuries.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
GFCI yes, but more of issue as evident by experiment shown by MH, (120v swimming) the EP bonding is even more important. If that had been intact and done correctly it could have been fully charged by a faulted or open wire and it would have no ill effect on persons swimming.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
And as for Fox News' story writing, this from the Cambridge Dictionary...

Electrocution
-the action of killing someone by causing electricity to flow through their body

I was always taught electrocution=death, otherwise you were shocked/burned, etc.

Merriam-Webster undermines that...their definition now says "killed or severely injured". Sigh.

In the story comments, one of the posters said they were an inspector and mentioned EP bonding...was it one of you guys? :)

brycenesbitt

experiment shown by MH, (120v swimming) the EP bonding is even more important
@fred could you give a reference or link to that euipotential grid experiment?

brycenesbitt

And as for Fox News' story writing, this from the Cambridge Dictionary... electrocution=death
Plenty of other examples, such as "Harbourside Place Incident Update" from Jupiter Police
Five transported, one died in the hospital.

"In the report, JPD detectives obtained surveillance video on October 23, from cameras facing the fountain. At 3:29 p.m., three children began playing in the fountain, and less than a minute later the two boys appeared to be face down in the water. A minute after the boys fall into the water, Davenport jumps into the water to save the kids. Tragically, Davenport immediately collapses in the water and ends up on his back before he is able to get to one of the boys."

"The survivors of the electrified fountain — including the children —were interviewed by detectives to get a firsthand account of what happened that day. Each person stated they felt a shock the moment they entered the water."

"An employee was notified of the incident, but Fleck told the detective the employee was dismissive of the situation."

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
And as for Fox News' story writing, this from the Cambridge Dictionary...

Electrocution
-the action of killing someone by causing electricity to flow through their body

I was always taught electrocution=death, otherwise you were shocked/burned, etc.

Merriam-Webster undermines that...their definition now says "killed or severely injured". Sigh.

In the story comments, one of the posters said they were an inspector and mentioned EP bonding...was it one of you guys? :)
derived from "electro" and "execution

Lots of words have taken on different meanings over the years..
"Decimate" is one that gets me when I hear it used.
Now even the dictionary has basically ignored "Deci"in the definition of Decimate..
"The fire decimated the area" how do they know one tenth of the area was destroyed?

kwired

Electron manager
From the linked article in OP:

Police determined that a wire on a pool pump had been pinched, causing a protective cover to break. The exposed wire made contact with the pool water and shocked the five swimmers, according to the station.

GFCI likely would have tripped for what they described here. Maybe some portable pool not plugged into a GFCI protected outlet?

derived from "electro" and "execution

Lots of words have taken on different meanings over the years..
"Decimate" is one that gets me when I hear it used.
Now even the dictionary has basically ignored "Deci"in the definition of Decimate..
"The fire decimated the area" how do they know one tenth of the area was destroyed?
Right lol. It originally came from the practice of Roman legions killing one of ten men for some reason, maybe even their own men for disobedience. I forget exactly but it went from one tenth to utter destruction.

brycenesbitt

Right lol. It originally came from the practice of Roman legions killing one of ten men for some reason, maybe even their own men for disobedience. I forget exactly but it went from one tenth to utter destruction.
The Oxford English Dictionary, or OED, is the go-to reference for the origin of English words. You have it just right.
Unfortunately, the OED is now behind a paywall without advertisement support, but you can see

"c. 1600, "to select by lot and put to death every tenth man," from Latin decimatus, past participle of decimare "the removal or destruction of one-tenth," from decem "ten" (from PIE root *dekm- "ten")."

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Indeed, it was only a punishment for their own soldiers (properly legionaries, not legionaires) when a major act of disobedience or supposed cowardice occurred. One man in every ten was randomly selected for death and supposedly were beaten to death by their own comrades. The principle involved was collective punishment, wherein you impose a severe (terminal) punishment on a fraction rather than a lesser punishment on everyone. Except for psychological effects, it left the Legion ready for immediate return to battle instead of being hindered by any ongoing punishments. I am not sure whether officers were also included.
It has since taken on the meaning of leaving only one tenth unscathed.
Another pet peeve of mine is "honing in on" something with the meaning of concentrating on something with the intention of making a precise and critical improvement. It is a conflation of honing (sharpening) something, meaning to complete the process of producing the desired result (a fine edge) and homing in on something, meaning to concentrate on that thing and avoid extraneous surrounding issues.
"Honing in" is literally a meaningless construction.