Another snake oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
One of my clients asked me about this that I don't have any experience with. Is this a valid product or another glorified snake oil?

I will pass your replies onto him.

ETA, isn't this a SPD similar to one by Square-D or others?

Thank you

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
One of my clients asked me about this that I don't have any experience with. Is this a valid product or another glorified snake oil?

Thank you
If someone pops a Tsar Bomba 50 miles up over the continental US, I don't think this gizmo will help much. 🙄

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That's the first SPD that I ever saw that claimed it protects against lightning. I'd be weary of that!
What does EMP stand for?

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
"Our Technology Pulls Excess Electricity from Your Homes Electrical System in 500 Trillionths of a Second"
How does that work?

"100% Lightning Guarantee Backed By a $25,000 Insurance Policy", but they offer no insurance for EMP or solar flares.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That's the first SPD that I ever saw that claimed it protects against lightning. I'd be weary of that!
What does EMP stand for?
ElectroMagnetic Pulse

A very high intensity, short lived, electric and magnetic field pulse which can be caused by a nuclear explosion in orbit or lower in the atmosphere. Charged particles from the explosion generate the field pulse.
The pulse can cause voltages on everything from semiconductor electronics through car electrical systems to long transmission lines which can cause major damage. The RF noise from the event can also disrupt radio communications worldwide.
Similar but less drastic damage can be caused by charged particles from a solar flare entering the atmosphere.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yeah it may have the UL and ETL marking, but am I correct to say that there is a very very low chance that a magnetic pulse and a solar event will happen any time soon to warrant the purchase of the mentioned product ?

Thank you all for your replies.

Edward

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah it may have the UL and ETL marking, but am I correct to say that there is a very very low chance that a magnetic pulse and a solar event will happen any time soon to warrant the purchase of the mentioned product ?
Maybe they don't expect to be around to pay up. :cool:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
LOL, it there were an EMP attack, and this thing worked, your TV, computer and smart refrigerator would survive, but have nothing to talk to because EVERYTHING ELSE would be fried. So assuming you have a generator, you could sit in your house and watch old DVDs (assuming you still have the DVD player and didn't get rid of it in favor of streaming services).

Is this thing "snake oil"? Meh. It is still an SPD, although they don't list specs as to whether it is Type, 1, 2 or 3. I can buy a $13 power strip that has a UL1449 listing on it, so that doesn't mean much. They IMPLY it is Type 1 because they show it hard wired to the Service Panel, but it would be interesting to see what the ETL listing actually says.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
LOL, it there were an EMP attack, and this thing worked, your TV, computer and smart refrigerator would survive, but have nothing to talk to because EVERYTHING ELSE would be fried. So assuming you have a generator, you could sit in your house and watch old DVDs (assuming you still have the DVD player and didn't get rid of it in favor of streaming services).

Is this thing "snake oil"? Meh. It is still an SPD, although they don't list specs as to whether it is Type, 1, 2 or 3. I can buy a $13 power strip that has a UL1449 listing on it, so that doesn't mean much. They IMPLY it is Type 1 because they show it hard wired to the Service Panel, but it would be interesting to see what the ETL listing actually says.
Wouldn't wiring into the service panel be Type 2? At the meter is Type 1?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Type1 could be before or after the Main disconnect device, Type 2 would be for sub-panels. I was mainly just pointing out how they make no mention of it one way or the other, besides showing a photo of one next to a panel without identifying if that was a Main or Sub. To my mind, when someone makes a product like this, then seemingly deliberately leaves out any technical details, they are probably hiding something and trying to catch the attention of people who don't know better.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It would be interesting to open one. Could be some MOVs and little else. It’s not an expensive unit as it’s housed in a PVC enclosure, all the type 1 or 2s I have seen are in metal. Plus the web site is heavy on fluff

NewtonLaw

Thank you
ROTFLMAO! These just keep on coming :)

NewtonLaw

The Homeland Security Report, "19_0307_CISA_EMP-Protection-Resilience-Guidelines", does indeed "mention" them but they do not give any testimony as to the effectiveness of the product. The only one they speak of as tested to, "MIL-STD-188-125 E1 and E2 environments, such as the AC EMP product APEC IMAX HT, which is applicable to 120/208 VAC, 240 VAC, and 120 VAC applications.", is the "Transtector", see https://www.transtector.com/.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The Homeland Security Report, "19_0307_CISA_EMP-Protection-Resilience-Guidelines", does indeed "mention" them but they do not give any testimony as to the effectiveness of the product. The only one they speak of as tested to, "MIL-STD-188-125 E1 and E2 environments, such as the AC EMP product APEC IMAX HT, which is applicable to 120/208 VAC, 240 VAC, and 120 VAC applications.", is the "Transtector", see https://www.transtector.com/.
Those (the HEMP tested products) seem to cost a bit more than EmpShield and to be more solidy costructed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.