Another TIA for Perimeter Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

If accepted the only perimeter bonding that would be acceptable for an in-ground pool, would be the copper ground grid in or below the surface materials.
The TIA is that a 680.26(B)(2)(c) Copper Grid must be used over a 680.26(B)(2)(b) single #8 Copper Ring on inground pools. Structural reinforcing steel per 680.26(B)(2)(a) is still permitted in a concrete deck.

There is an appeal of the TIA with 9 disagree - 5 agree results, that is being looked at by a special task group that will report back to the standards council at the December meeting.

In Massachusetts, the Copper Grid is needed by amendment over the 680.26(B)(2)(b) copper ring with language like the TIA.

Here are some commments by CMP 17 panel members on CAM 70-117

I find the research and testing provided and performed by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) compelling. Installing a single conductor for the perimeter surface of a pool will obviously perform better than not installing one at all. In the same vein, installing a grid of copper conductors will obviously perform better than installing a single conductor, as will installing reinforcing steel such as rebar or steel mesh. These facts are beyond dispute, but determining if the single conductor method is “good enough” is the question. The EPRI research appears to show that the difference in voltage (the voltage gradient) is not reduced to an acceptable level across the pool deck when the single conductor method is used. In my opinion, the research and the science have answered the question of “is a single conductor good enough,” and that answer is “no, it is not.” Pool owners and the public both expect a certain level of safety when using a pool, and the single conductor method does not appear to provide it.

I remember discussing this for a long time at CMP 17 meetings. The NEC has taken a number of protection issues for swimming pools within its jurisdiction. See: https://www.nfpa.org/News-andResear...rnal/2017/May-June-2017/In-Compliance/NFPA-70 I agree that there can be issues in a small number of cases. I would like to see the new EPRI reports referenced in the TIA. I found some inconsistencies in a previous EPRI report conducted on an in ground pool in Massachusetts. This solution would be clearly the optimum solution for the utilities but doesn’t get at the “root cause”. It seems to me the utility industry is trying to get the NEC to solve its problem. The NEC does not “preclude” the installation of a copper grid but the requirement would put both a cost penalty and solve a problem that doesn’t usually exist with the three current solutions in the code. At the CMP 17 meeting it was discussed that areas with “stray currents” and “marsh like” soils could have a local requirement to specify a complete copper grid. I think the National Electrical Safety Code, sponsored by the IEEE, should take up the root causes of “stray currents”. This code governs the utilities design requirements. In my opinion, Public Comment 2058 can be handled, after reviewing the new EPRI reports referenced, in the next code cycle.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
This is going to be a costly change as now the single #8 running around the contour of the pool 18-24" away 4-6 " below subgrade will only apply to above ground pools.
So I'm reading this proposal. The pools mentioned, were they concrete, fiberglass, vinyl pools with steel walls? There are vinyl pool kits available with poly walls.
I'm assuming these all had concrete patios. So if rebar or mesh installed before the pour and are bonded, does it qualify as a mat and meet the code? So if no reinforcement, the copper mat must be used?
A commercial pool I built 10 years ago, we ran the single #8. My mason contractor laid out mesh for the pour and the inspector told me the #8 was not necessary as the mesh would suffice. Whatever. We ran the #8 and bonded to the mesh.

When the mat was first required, we only needed a 2' wide as the rebar in the wall was considered in the 3' overall area. And at that time, it was expensive. Rolls were 100' only. Try running the mat around a free form pool and securing it It's a joy.
This is going to be a costly change as now the single #8 running around the contour of the pool 18-24" away 4-6 " below subgrade will only apply to above ground pools.
What about vanishing edge pools? Or pools with raised walls? I have built many pool that are into a hillside and the downward wall is above grade.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How will this solve the problem of existing pools that might be dangerous? And how did they determine this was an emergency?
They haven't made that determination yet. The ballot will be on both the technical merit and the emergency nature. It must pass both to become part of the code. For the 2020 cycle, there were a number of proposed TIAs that passed the technical ballot but failed the emergency nature ballot.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone died from this on a pool properly bonded per the current code? Or is this being pushed by manufacturers? 80% of my work is on large commercials pools with concrete decks and everything is bonded via steel rebar so the copper ring I don't use. I just hope this doesn't become a slippery slope where that is the only method allowed in future cycles without any substantiation.

Like requiring GFCI protection for outdoor ACs or GFCI on 3 phase pool pumps that to my knowledge have never been an issue if properly bonded per code. All pool pumps especially in CA need VFDs and the GFCIs are going to cause the same issue as they do for ACs. NfPA has sold out.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I'm all for pool safety. If this emergency came out by some study and no actual issue with the millions of pools out there it's hard to see the emergency in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.