Another "whats your price".....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonburgFarmer

Ok, Got a call from a small weld shop.....our new tig welder keeps tripping the breaker.....on arrival found the welder w/ a 50 amp plug, and rated at 42 amp to be on a ckt w/ #12 and 30amp breaker.....on a three phase panel hooked to a single phase service, with a whopping 60 amp backfed main breaker......this was the worst of many issues to say the least.....

So....the service change consists of

about 25' of SEU,
new meterbase
new QO 200 amp 40 sp panel
7 QO 250 breakers
8 QO 120 breakers
2 5/8" ground rods
1 4X4X48 wireway

Run 2 60 amp 250V ckts. about 60' each

run 1 20 amp 250v ckt about 75'

Will probobaly have 5 hrs of "cleaning up crap" (bad installations) :mad:to pass inspections...

All ckts are ran in EMT.

What is your number????

Permit cost excluded for this purpose.....:grin:

I figure about $1350.00 worth of material before tax and markup....and about 20 man hours.....let the whoopins comense......

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Hope your charging about 150% on those man hours! or that it is all in the "very easy" catagory.

JacksonburgFarmer

Well then.....what would be your thoughts on man hours??? I am looking for input here....I know how long it takes me to do work....trying to get better at "bidding" stuff. Most of our work is now service/T&M. Customer wants a price so.....here we are....thanks for any input....

daleuger

I figure about $1350.00 worth of material before tax and markup....and about 20 man hours.....let the whoopins comense......[/QUOTE said:
Isn't there a big difference between hours and "man-hours". I.e. if it takes 2 men 20 hours to do a job wouldn't that be 40 man-hours?

220/221

Mark up the materials 100% and add a couple/few more hours.

You already have a couple hours in this one.

Put me down for 1/4 hr. :cool:

CopperTone

mark up material at least 20% and I would say 2 guys at least 2.5 days maybe 3. that is 40 - 48 man hours - (3 days if you are not the owner or one of the guys doing the work)
Not seeing the job is tough - how high are the ceilings? easy or hard conduit runs? anything in the way or straight shots?

Service change 16 man hours
clean up wires and run conduit 16 - 20 man hours
pull in, terminate, and turn on/test circuits 8 - 12 man hours

Mr. Wizard

Ok, Got a call from a small weld shop.....our new tig welder keeps tripping the breaker.....on arrival found the welder w/ a 50 amp plug, and rated at 42 amp to be on a ckt w/ #12 and 30amp breaker.....on a three phase panel hooked to a single phase service, with a whopping 60 amp backfed main breaker......this was the worst of many issues to say the least.....

So....the service change consists of

about 25' of SEU,
new meterbase
new QO 200 amp 40 sp panel
7 QO 250 breakers
8 QO 120 breakers
2 5/8" ground rods
1 4X4X48 wireway

Run 2 60 amp 250V ckts. about 60' each

run 1 20 amp 250v ckt about 75'

Will probobaly have 5 hrs of "cleaning up crap" (bad installations) :mad:to pass inspections...

All ckts are ran in EMT.

What is your number????

Permit cost excluded for this purpose.....:grin:

I figure about $1350.00 worth of material before tax and markup....and about 20 man hours.....let the whoopins comense......

Did you include everything, material-wise, in that $1350? Seems kind of slim, IMO. Easily round it up to an even $2000 for material, add a little for permit costs, and I agree with rewire on 2 to 2 1/2 days. Putting a service in a welding shop is a little different than screwing a meterbase and panel to the side of someone's house. You should charge three days as you've already put some time into it. Total cost would be around $4500 to $6000. Ballpark.

cadpoint

I agree with rewire on 2 to 2 1/2 days. Putting a service in a welding shop is a little different than screwing a meterbase and panel to the side of someone's house. You should charge three days as you've already put some time into it. Total cost would be around $4500 to $6000. Ballpark.

I do to, think'n like the wizard ... I know hanging a can can be many things to many people but I thought outright 8 hours on this meter panel combo, finished, but that still might be, Get'n it. Gezz, maybe I think slow!

What about alternate power as you work ? You going cold ?
Silly me your in a welding shop... :>

Status
Not open for further replies.