Antenna Grounding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whit3fir3

New User
Occupation
I have a couple of grounding questions that I need to see if I can get some help answering. I’ve recently purchased a Rohn H50 collapsible antenna mast. My plan is to mount the antenna mast to my house very close to the grounding location for the house. The ground rod for my home will be about 4 feet to the left of the antenna mast and my plan was to install 2 additional 8ft ground rods to the right of the antenna mast. Obviously all the grounding will be connected using 6 awg wire.
  • Since I’m going to be using 8ft grounding rods is 16ft spacing between the grounding rods the best distance? Also do the grounding rods need to be in a straight line or does their pattern in the earth matter as long as there is sufficient space between them?
  • With the 6 awg I was planning on burying the cable a couple of inches underground to protect it from things like lawn equipment. If I were to use bare copper wire and it corrodes is that going to cause any problems? If so should I use copper wire with a sheathing and if so what would be best to prevent moisture from getting to the wire?
  • Since the antenna mast is going to be relatively close to at least 2 grounding rods should I ground it to both rods or would this be bad? I'm wondering if this would create a ground loop.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.