Anti- sieze for light bulb threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Friend was telling me he is planning on replacing all his outside lights with LED type bulbs . Since he lives on the bay ( saltwater ) he was asking about what to put on the threads to keep the bulbs from siezing up in the sockets . If the LED's last as long as they claim it will be some years before he has to replace them . I figured just use some bulb grease from the auto parts store and just put a light film on the threads . Anybody know of a better way to deal with this ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think there are products for that. I always used the same anti-ox compound we use on AL cable with great success.

PetrosA

Di electric grease is good. The only anti-oxidation grease I would use is Ilsco DE-OX since it's a pure mineral oil based grease without metal particles in a suspension. Any of the ones with aluminum, copper or zinc in them could create an electrical path along the base of the lamp.

kwired

Electron manager
What material is the lampholder shell, and what material is the lamp base?

Aluminum base and aluminum shell are likely to seize up. Make just one of them out of brass and that possibility greatly diminishes.

Add a corrosive environment and it does go up again though.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I've used Vaseline with good results in the past. Poor man's dielectric grease.

SceneryDriver

kwired

Electron manager
I've used Vaseline with good results in the past. Poor man's dielectric grease.

SceneryDriver
Question becomes what happens to that over time? Is it an insulator? What does heat from the lamp do to it? I can't confirm anything but I can see potential that it could cook off oily substance and leave a heavy substance behind, that may or may not be worse than having never used it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Di electric grease is good. The only anti-oxidation grease I would use is Ilsco DE-OX since it's a pure mineral oil based grease without metal particles in a suspension. Any of the ones with aluminum, copper or zinc in them could create an electrical path along the base of the lamp.

I second the no on metal particles, although as long as the particle density in the grease is low enough it would not necessarily be an issue.
They could be large and sharp enough break then oxide layer when sandwiched between metal surfaces but not form a conductive path through a line of particles.
Most if not all of the consumer anti-seize for light bulbs are pure silicone grease, which is very heat resistant.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
th

Made right here in my home town.

The above only comes in single use packs. So I called AGS and the Dir. of Marketing told me that their Dielectric Silicone Compound was the same formula and came in .5, 1.25 and 4 oz. tubes.

dielectric-silicone-compound.jpg

AGS products are available through Ace Hardware, Do-It-Best and Tru-Value Hardware stores. If they don't stock the item, they can order it from AGS.

http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/157

If you have any questions about a particular application, their contact # is below.

AGS
Muskegon, MI
213-733-2101

I am not affiliated with AGS in any way other than being in the same county. AGS has been a local employer for decades while the rest have all moved away and put people out of work.

There are reasons to use a product designed specifically for electrical connections.

Vaseline is petroleum and will burn and leave carbon arcs. Actually it is VERY flammable.

Some anti-oxidants have metal powder in them. They conduct electricity. Good for nuts and bolts. Not good for Edison bases.

Spray di-electric grease may have solvents in it or be flammable.

WD-40 will dry out over time and actually stick the bulb to the base after many years. WD-40 is not meant to be a lubricant. It is a water displacement chemical.

Ilsco De-Ox looks like a good choice if it's the 'plain'. De-Ox also comes in formulas with zinc or copper flakes in it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

PetrosA

I've been using Ilsco De-Ox without problems for a few years now. I only put a very thin layer on without gooping it up, so maybe that's why none of the lamps I've used it on have burst into flame. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.