Any Ademco guys here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I'm trying to learn the basics of Ademco Vista panels. I have the zone programming down, but I'm not sure on what other parameters I need to program.

This is for a home system I'm trying to set up.

System is very basic. One entry door, one instant door, one motion, one KP.

mdshunk

You picked the right one there. For resi and light commercial, I like the Ademco Vista panel very much. The price point is certainly right too.

Change the installer code, at least.

peter d

mdshunk said:
You picked the right one there. For resi and light commercial, I like the Ademco Vista panel very much. The price point is certainly right too.

Change the installer code, at least.

Yeah, $125 for the whole setup with KP, horn, panel, etc at ADI. Do they come pre-programmed with default settings?

I noticed that ADT uses Vista panels in disguise, but I think they add some proprietary features to them.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Yeah, $125 for the whole setup with KP, horn, panel, etc at ADI. Do they come pre-programmed with default settings?
They sure do, but I have to check the manual every time I put one in to double check that they'll suit what I'm doing. I don't put enough of them in to know what I change and what I leave alone. Did your system come with the installer manual? I can clearly remember having one heck of a time getting an installer manual. I have one on CD someplace if I look hard enough. The Vista sure is a popular panel. I'm sure some guy that puts them in every day will chime in here soon.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Did your system come with the installer manual? I can clearly remember having one heck of a time getting an installer manual.

Yeah, it came with the user manual, installer manual and programming manual. There is quite a bit of literature to sort through.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I've progammed a bunch of Ademco Vista panels-50ps. The real installers can program from the keypad. I got the 4100SM at about $75 and do it from my laptop. Much easier. Plus you can make custom zone descriptions such as Back Door. Software is free
But once you learn how to program from keypad its not too bad, its just getting started.
There is training at the Honeywell web site on Ademco Vista Panels, you will need to register.
Or get chummy with an alarm installer, get it all wired and powered up, they can program it really quick.

mdshunk

I can remember working on one where I didn't have the installer code, and there's some sort of reset procedure. I had to do something or other at the panel, then race full speed to the keypad. That was fun once, but the next time, I'm taking the keypad off the wall and wiring it up at the panel.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I can remember working on one where I didn't have the installer code, and there's some sort of reset procedure.

Does it have anything to do with grounding out one of the pins on the CPU?

mdshunk

peter d said:
I forget. I have it stuck in a folder. Going off memory, it involved powering down the system (battery too) for 30 seconds or so, powering up, running to the keypad and pressing a couple keys at the same time, typing in a number that showed up on the screen, and it would rattle off the installer code to you.

mivey

peter d said:
To bypass the installer code lockout, you have to press * and # within 50 seconds of power up.

[edit: this puts you in programming mode. *20 is the installer code field on a Vista 20P]

Last edited:

mdshunk

I found it. I have a note written on it that it works on most Ademco and the private labeled Ademco stuff, but I don't know how long ago I wrote that note to myself:

1) Power down the system (unplug the transformer AND battery)
2) Plug in the transformer, and RUN to the keypad.
3) Within 30 seconds, press * and # on the keypad at the same time. You will see either "00" or "20" to let you know you're in programming mode.
4) You should be in programming - press #20 (this depends on the model of your system - could be #00, depending on what you saw in step 3)
5) The installer code will be read back to you (4 digits). Write it down! The code will read back in 2-digit format. IE: code 1234 will read 01 (beep)-02(beep)-03 (beep)-04 (beep).
6) If you wish to change your Installer access code simply press " * " + 00 OR " * " + 20 (What ever came up on your keypad when you first got into programming.) Then Enter Your New Code IE: *20 +1234. Your installer access code will now Be 1234.
7) Exit programming by pressing in *99

mivey

mdshunk said:
I found it. I have a note written on it that it works on most Ademco and the private labeled Ademco stuff, but I don't know how long ago I wrote that note to myself:

1) Power down the system (unplug the transformer AND battery)
2) Plug in the transformer, and RUN to the keypad.
3) Within 30 seconds, press * and # on the keypad at the same time. You will see either "00" or "20" to let you know you're in programming mode.
4) You should be in programming - press #20 (this depends on the model of your system - could be #00, depending on what you saw in step 3)
5) The installer code will be read back to you (4 digits). Write it down! The code will read back in 2-digit format. IE: code 1234 will read 01 (beep)-02(beep)-03 (beep)-04 (beep).
6) If you wish to change your Installer access code simply press " * " + 00 OR " * " + 20 (What ever came up on your keypad when you first got into programming.) Then Enter Your New Code IE: *20 +1234. Your installer access code will now Be 1234.
7) Exit programming by pressing in *99
If you like to run, you can exit by using *98 and you can not get back in with the installer code but must use power down, power up, run to the keypad, press *+# to enter programming mode. Add lots of toys, kids, and pets in your path for even more fun.

MAK

peter d said:

I noticed that ADT uses Vista panels in disguise, but I think they add some proprietary features to them.
I think A.D.T. is owned by TYCO. I have seen them use D.S.C. (Digital Security Controls) panels in my area.http://www.dsc.com/Home.aspx
http://www.adt.com/wps/portal/adt
I believe you are correct that they add proprietary features to their panels.

peter d

MAK said:
I think A.D.T. is owned by TYCO. I have seen them use D.S.C. (Digital Security Controls) panels in my area.

They are indeed a Tyco company, but just the other day I saw a brand new ADT install that was clearly an Ademco panel (With the ADT name on it but it was identical to the Ademco Vista panels.)

I have also seen them use the DSC panels (in disguise.)

Perhaps it was old inventory they are trying to use up? :confused:

metro2387

Reset Ademco Procedure

Reset Ademco Procedure

Thank You!!!!!

I've been running my ADEMCO off of the keyfob. My lovely wife forgot the code two years ago and I've been dragging the system around since. :wink: :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.