Any advice for someone who'll be taking the Journeyman electrican exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcmaker

I live in Las Vegas, NV and I will be taking the Journeyman Electrician exam. In Clark County, the exam covers the 2011 NEC book.

Any advice on what I should focus on? The exam is open book, but only 4 types of books are allowed. I have the 2011 NEC book and an Ugly's electrical references pocketbook.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I live in Las Vegas, NV and I will be taking the Journeyman Electrician exam. In Clark County, the exam covers the 2011 NEC book.

Any advice on what I should focus on? The exam is open book, but only 4 types of books are allowed. I have the 2011 NEC book and an Ugly's electrical references pocketbook.
Check out this on Mike Holt's site.

Free Quizzes and Exams

Welcome to the forum,,,,:thumbsup:

lapseofmind

I took that test in Las Vegas. I recommend your codebook having tabs so it's faster to find the section you need. Also, study study study. I purchased an exam study guide, it helped quite a bit. You just need to be used to the code book really.

mgookin

I've taken many professional tests.

My opinion is the best thing you can do first is find practice questions. It will teach you how the test questions are worded and what path of logic the questions & answers follow. This is the number one thing to passing a professional test.

And the best thing you can do second is learn your way through your reference materials. Long before that test begins you should know off the top of your head where you're going to look for questions pertaining to a given topic.

Nobody is going to learn to memorize tables. Just learn where they are, what they mean, how they're interpreted & applied, etc.

When taking the test, blow through those questions which you know you can answer. Then after you get to the end come back to the head scratchers.

Good luck!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When taking the test, blow through those questions which you know you can answer. Then after you get to the end come back to the head scratchers.
I will second that recommendation, and add one more: Get a good night's sleep the night before the test.

lapseofmind

Yup, there were a few definitions. There was one that I couldn't find in the code book so I had to guess, considering all the answers were very similar. I got it wrong I'm sure :lol:

Overall it's a pretty decent test. The one I took in Washington state was a bit harder...and longer.

I have also taken many of these test over the years and what I've found that has worked for me is to read completely through all the questions on the test before trying to answer any of them and then go back and start at the beginning, It would amaze you how many answers you will find while looking for the answer to another question. Don't spend alot of time on the really tough one as it won't fail you to get a couple wrong but if you run out of time and don't finish then that just may fail you. Don't have more than a cup of coffee as this is a huge waste of time going to the restroom if that is even permitted. Your first answer is usually right so unless it is abundantly clear that you put down a wrong answer don't change it. Good luck.

kwired

Electron manager
In the Vegas tests, do you have to put a quarter or token in before each new question and spin the reels to get possible answers?

If you hit all three answers the same you automatically pass:cool:

beard

New User
closed book question

closed book question

I am going to be taking my journeymans exam in a few months in North Dakota. 3 hours of the exam is open book and 1.5 is closed. I'm wondering what kind of questions there will most likely be in the closed book portion. If it's calculations are they basic?

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am going to be taking my journeymans exam in a few months in North Dakota. 3 hours of the exam is open book and 1.5 is closed. I'm wondering what kind of questions there will most likely be in the closed book portion. If it's calculations are they basic?

I would enjoy hearing more about your testing experience. Here in Dallas, Texas, we have a 4 hr open book exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.