Any experience with legrand radiant dimmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Did you crank up the low end setting with the trimpot on the dimmer to see if that eliminated the flickering? Of course this will limit how low you can dim the light.
Also many dimmers have issues if they don't have enough load current.

Did you crank up the low end setting with the trimpot on the dimmer to see if that eliminated the flickering? Of course this will limit how low you can dim the light.
Also many dimmers have issues if they don't have enough load current.
I didn't try that yet, but starting at the full on position, they start to flicker with only the slightest dimming, so I am assuming that won't help.

This has 10 can killers on it, so about 200 watts. I haven't yet tried any others circuits with different quantities as still have too many loose ends to energize.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I see that Lithonia has an "MVOLT" 120-277V version that accepts 0-10V dimming but does not work with standard AC phase controlled dimmers. By chance did you get some of these?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Can you list the part number of exactly which dimmer you have ? There are several dimmer SKU’s in the Radiant line.

If it’s the Harmony dimmer, you need to swap for a tru-universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you list the part number of exactly which dimmer you have ? There are several dimmer SKU’s in the Radiant line.

If it’s the Harmony dimmer, you need to swap for a tru-universal.

I won't be back at that job for a week or so, but I think it's a Model:RHL743PW

I think he's just going to order some lutron dimmers and we will have to deal if the color is a little different. The devices are black. Some are ganged together with legrand switches.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I won't be back at that job for a week or so, but I think it's a Model:RHL743PW

I think he's just going to order some lutron dimmers and we will have to deal if the color is a little different. The devices are black. Some are ganged together with legrand switches.

That’s the 2-wire SSL 7A dimmer. It works with some LED’s, but I don’t recommend using a dimmer without a neutral on those LED’s.

Use the RH703PTUW dimmer. You’ll have to order the black face cover separately. Part # is RHKITBK.

I use these exclusively outside of RF & WiFi controls. I have all Legrand tru-universal dimmers in my house (HKRL50) on a variety of LED loads and they work flawlessly.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I know a few other contractors who have had the same issue with these dimmers. They work for a few weeks and fail. I use Lutron Diva dimmers. They look somewhat similar to what you’re using. I’ve never had an issue with them with LED lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I know a few other contractors who have had the same issue with these dimmers. They work for a few weeks and fail. I use Lutron Diva dimmers. They look somewhat similar to what you’re using. I’ve never had an issue with them with LED lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never had a Radiant dimmer fail. I've had Lutron dimmers fail, but probably installed far more Lutron over the years than Legrand.

I've had Lutron dimmers flicker LED's also. The wrong dimmer isn't going to work regardless of brand. In the early days of LED dimming Lutron was releasing a new version of the same dimmer every few months. I had to swap many of them back with Lutron for updated HW versions. It happens.

LED's have made things a little harder in some aspects. The tru-universal dimmers from Legrand have never let me down though.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeah I recently learned this. A few weeks ago I had an existing diva dimmer flickering some new can killers. I replaced it with a new one, same part number, and it worked fine.

Something else that’s important to know, and I mention because I think you said something earlier about Lithonia being a quality brand (which they are); a lot of these LED fixtures from different manufacturers are using identical components, especially in the budget lines.

They’re using the same drivers. They’re using the same diodes. They’re using the same factory. They’re not even using their own designs.

I can go on Alibaba right now and find dozens of manufacturers that will put a Phillips or Fulham driver in, put my name and logo on it, and ship me 1000 fixtures to sell within 14 days.

Something else that’s important to know, and I mention because I think you said something earlier about Lithonia being a quality brand (which they are); a lot of these LED fixtures from different manufacturers are using identical components, especially in the budget lines.

They’re using the same drivers. They’re using the same diodes. They’re using the same factory. They’re not even using their own designs.

I can go on Alibaba right now and find dozens of manufacturers that will put a Phillips or Fulham driver in, put my name and logo on it, and ship me 1000 fixtures to sell within 14 days.

Yeah I have noticed that with the lithonia ultra thin can killers where some knockoffs look the exaxt same, but there are also ones that are definitely different and feel chinsy

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeah I have noticed that with the lithonia ultra thin can killers where some knockoffs look the exaxt same, but there are also ones that are definitely different and feel chinsy

As far as I know they are all made in China. But you can get whatever level of quality from the factory you’re willing to pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.