Any one know anything about Head of Wall fire stop?

82angelfan

So once again, OSHPD 6 month project going on 3rd year. The IOR tends to call out stuff randomly, or as the GC says, he throughs stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Then we have to run around like a legal team to prove our innocence.

So here we are 1 month from turn-over and he call me on this conduit that has been on this wall for a year. He says we cannot attach at the fire stop. Yet, the suspended ceiling is attached everywhere like in the pic. Many are higher than that. See pics. He doesn't quote a code, he just says heat can transfer through screws. Does anyone know of a code that says otherwise?

head of wall 3.jpg Head of wall 1.jpg head of wall 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
So once again, OSHPD 6 month project going on 3rd year. The IOR tends to call out stuff randomly, or as the GC says, he throughs stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Then we have to run around like a legal team to prove our innocence.

So here we are 1 month from turn-over and he call me on this conduit that has been on this wall for a year. He says we cannot attach at the fire stop. Yet, the suspended ceiling is attached everywhere like in the pic. Many are higher than that. See pics. He doesn't quote a code, he just says heat can transfer through screws. Does anyone know of a code that says otherwise?

View attachment 2573369 View attachment 2573370 View attachment 2573371
Did he give you a specific code? If not ask for one. Maybe nec 300.21

82angelfan

Did he give you a specific code? If not ask for one. Maybe nec 300.21
He does not. He just says "it seams like heat would transfer through the screw." Well, yeah, heat will transfer through every metallic penetration in this wall, including the EMT, copper plumbing, cast iron roof drains and vents, forged steel fire sprinklers, etc, etc. Where does it stop?

The fire spray at the top of wall is to complete the 2-hour rating from the head of wall to the fire stop mono-coat material. Putting a screw through this location is no different than putting a screw anywhere else in this 2-hour rated dry wall.

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
He does not. He just says "it seams like heat would transfer through the screw." Well, yeah, heat will transfer through every metallic penetration in this wall, including the EMT, copper plumbing, cast iron roof drains and vents, forged steel fire sprinklers, etc, etc. Where does it stop?

The fire spray at the top of wall is to complete the 2-hour rating from the head of wall to the fire stop mono-coat material. Putting a screw through this location is no different than putting a screw anywhere else in this 2-hour rated dry wall.
The concern about heat transfer through screws isn't a common code requirement but may stem from a local interpretation or best practice. Fire-rated walls are designed to withstand a certain amount of heat, but the small amount of heat transfer through screws is generally not addressed directly in the NEC or IBC. But wait for others.

82angelfan

The concern about heat transfer through screws isn't a common code requirement but may stem from a local interpretation or best practice. Fire-rated walls are designed to withstand a certain amount of heat, but the small amount of heat transfer through screws is generally not addressed directly in the NEC or IBC. But wait for others.
I think it is going to turn into an RFI that the Architect and EEOR are going to respond to like we are idiots, and then charge the owner 1000 dollars per his contract. As I said, a 6 month job going on 3rd year. As is typical with OSHPD.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Is this OSHPD 3?

If it's 1, 2, 4, or 5 then you're dealing with the state agency... If it's OSHPD 3 then potentially it's through the local building department. Most building departments don't want to take the time to study up on what additional requirements are unique to OSHPD, so they hire out a 3rd party company to do the work. They are notoriously bad about finding more reasons for more inspections. Billable hours... Especially if that 3rd party company's name rhymes with "more beef".

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'm new to "OSHPD." Will someone please translate into English? (;
And IOR. I figured out GC!

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development. State Agency that permits and inspects health care facilities in California. Local building debts have little to nothing to do with it.

IOR is Inspector Of Record. The OSHPD (pronounced osh-pod) Inspector hired to perform the inspections on behalf of the State. Usually a private company heavily certified.

Generally a complete $#!Tshow. :D

I have a buddy that is an OSHPD certified inspector. He was on the hospital project up here 10 years ago. 3 year job turned into over 10 years. Most blamed him. I wasn't on that job. I ain't big-time. :D Prolly why we're friends.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I wonder when they are going to hit the Sheetrockers for their metal screws in the drywall? LOL! I know you can’t use anchors that melt or burn like plastic anchors.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development. State Agency that permits and inspects health care facilities in California. Local building debts have little to nothing to do with it.
OSHPD 3 is the only one that provides the option, they can be permitted through the state agency or the local building department. The new open door clinic was all permitted locally. There's a lot of little nuances sprinkled throughout code but basically nothing different than any other commercial project...

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
he just says heat can transfer through screws. Does anyone know of a code that says otherwise?
???? What screw does he have an issue with? The EMT fittings?

Or are you referring to the ceiling grid wires? That he might have cause. the one screw is run through the fire stop material. Heat Transfer is a non starter comment though as every piece of EMT or metal pipe will transfer heat. But he could be seeing it as compromising the seal of the firestop material, can rightly call it our for that.

82angelfan

???? What screw does he have an issue with? The EMT fittings?

Or are you referring to the ceiling grid wires? That he might have cause. the one screw is run through the fire stop material. Heat Transfer is a non starter comment though as every piece of EMT or metal pipe will transfer heat. But he could be seeing it as compromising the seal of the firestop material, can rightly call it our for that.
He is talking about the screws in the J-Box and the minis. however, there are t-bar brackets everywhere.

82angelfan

IOR is Inspector Of Record. The OSHPD (pronounced osh-pod) Inspector hired to perform the inspections on behalf of the State. Usually a private company heavily certified.

Generally a complete $#!Tshow. :D

I have a buddy that is an OSHPD certified inspector. He was on the hospital project up here 10 years ago. 3 year job turned into over 10 years. Most blamed him. I wasn't on that job. I ain't big-time. :D Prolly why we're friends.
You nailed it. This was a 6 month job going on 3 years. 50 million for 7000 square feet.

We have stamped engineered details on how to fold the toilet paper before wiping you butt. /S

82angelfan

Is this OSHPD 3?

If it's 1, 2, 4, or 5 then you're dealing with the state agency... If it's OSHPD 3 then potentially it's through the local building department. Most building departments don't want to take the time to study up on what additional requirements are unique to OSHPD, so they hire out a 3rd party company to do the work. They are notoriously bad about finding more reasons for more inspections. Billable hours... Especially if that 3rd party company's name rhymes with "more beef".
Not "more beef" but he lives 10 minutes from this hospital outside of the city and he only has one other project in downtown LA. Yes, he is making excuses to bill hours. He's passed this ceiling 3 times already.