Any way to force a business to update their electrical system for safety concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont name any names and this is nothing sinister but theres a certain college we frequently do work at and its a mess. Its pretty much the combination of 50 years of jacklegs having a field day. Every neutral in the whole campus will bite you. They have bare grounds acting as hot legs. Some FS boxes are energized as i found out a few times. The fountains shock ppl, the pole lights have direct burial romex through the handhold covers because the original lines burnt up in the ground, the transformer buckets have vines growing all through them and u can see where the lines have gone to ground through them from burnt vines. It's unsafe and sooner or later someone is going to get killed. The way they keep all their lights burning is they changed them out to LED then put in 100 amp fuses in a fuseable disconnect. There is #12 circuits powering a whole dorm where they all share the same neutral across the same phase...u can tell the neutral has gotten hot because its baked yellow brown. Is there any way to kind of anonymously call them out on it. Im not a contractor and i could care less whether i got their money or not but everytime i work there i get bit by something i shouldnt. You cant explain to them u shouldnt have to disconnecr a neutral when the circuits turned off because youd blow up you kleins if u cut through them and a dead leg.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Easy solution, call the AHJ (who ever it may be) and express your concern, a conversation on this forum will not get you anywhere.

With that said I am closing this thread.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.