Anyone ever use a three die Ridgid 31-A for threading RMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexcellent

Occupation
Inside Wireman
I am looking at buying some manual Ridgid RMC threading tools for a couple of home projects using 1/2", 3/4" and 1" RMC. I am not working at a shop right now where using their tools is an option. After shopping around a bit I found that by far my cheapest option is to pick up a decent used Ridgid 31-A, which is the three way cutting head that has all three dies. It is non-ratcheting, uses 12-R teeth, and is still sold new.

I've installed a lot of RMC but never used one of these before and am just curious if anyone has and has any insights as to any draw backs or plusses?

And in case anyone is wondering, this is for a nautical themed coastal vacation rental and I want to run 3/4" RMC in a large enclosed deck area for the switches/lighting as well as construct a massive dining table with an RMC base for out there . We may find some other creative furniture ideas as well if I have a threader available to use.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a few of them and have used them for 1/2" and 3/4" RMC and also some 1" black gas pipe. For a few threads they're not bad. I wouldn't want to spend all day threading 1" with one.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

wexcellent

Occupation
Inside Wireman
I have a few of them and have used them for 1/2" and 3/4" RMC and also some 1" black gas pipe. For a few threads they're not bad. I wouldn't want to spend all day threading 1" with one.

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Thanks for your response, just needed some reassurance I wasn't missing something. I am assuming this will take some 3/4" RMC handles? At $45 with decent teeth it is a good value, but of course doesn't have the handles.

Todd0x1

I found myself needing to do a bunch of RMC for which I had no tools. I bought knockoff 12R ratcheting handle and 12R dies from a company called Argco it was really affordable and they have held up really well. I remember the handle being around 60 and the die heads with dies being 60-70.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have an OLD 00-r.
As infinity said, its fine for a small job. It would be really aggravating having to thread lots of pipe all day, not to mention the job losses in labor

That, and its real aggravating just getting it started on RMC. You have to push it on while turning it at the same time until it cuts enough to get a good bite in the pipe.

wexcellent

Occupation
Inside Wireman
I have an OLD 00-r.
As infinity said, its fine for a small job. It would be really aggravating having to thread lots of pipe all day, not to mention the job losses in labor

That, and its real aggravating just getting it started on RMC. You have to push it on while turning it at the same time until it cuts enough to get a good bite in the pipe.
I found an old 00-r with 1/2, 3/4 and 1" dies, a handle, and free shipping for $90. Seller assures me the teeth are good so I went that direction instead of the 31-A. It's been years since I used one and I do remember needing to apply some force to start cutting threads, but how much more than when using a Ridgid 700?

I am doing it for myself so it is a labor of love and I am not too concerned about it taking a bit longer.

The crappy part is that as a young man I inherited an OO-R and dies, plus a ridgid reamer and pipe cutter from my grandpa that he used as maintenance guy for plumbing. I had little use for it at the time and sold it all dirt cheap in a garage sale. Doh! Those tools last forever with a little care.

Todd0x1

needing to apply some force to start cutting threads,
on my knockoff one I would leave the die out of the handle and screw it onto the end of the pipe until it stopped, then install the handle on it and start cranking. As long as the dies are sharp its pretty easy.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I found an old 00-r with 1/2, 3/4 and 1" dies, a handle, and free shipping for $90. Seller assures me the teeth are good so I went that direction instead of the 31-A. It's been years since I used one and I do remember needing to apply some force to start cutting threads, but how much more than when using a Ridgid 700?

I am doing it for myself so it is a labor of love and I am not too concerned about it taking a bit longer.
The great thing about the 700 is it turns itself. A little pressure and it threads(with a good stand)
the 00-r you have to push and turn at the same time..

FWIW, i wouldn't get rid of mine.
I bought it for a job years ago and it paid for itself many times over.
Never did enough work to warrant a power head.

Status
Not open for further replies.