Anyone ever work in the Netherlands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm

Once again, I have a company wanting me to quote work out of country. My fears are:
  1. Can I legally practice my trade in the Netherlands?
  2. Taxes?
  3. Visa's?
  4. Wages?

It is an industrial cement plant for an oil field service company, for whom, I dont' know yet. I would imagine Haliburton? The contractor, that I am proposing through, is a company that I am used to doing business with. But, they seem to jump in to stuff sometimes without thinking things out. So, I am thinking them out.

Lots of unknowns for me, as I have never been out of country, except for on a beach in Mexico with a Tecate in my hand. Any advice would be welcomed, if any of you have done this before.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Depending on the size of the project, first question I would ask my self: Do I have the man power and the financial security to take my crew out of the country and provide cost for (Visa, food, lodging, tools, travel......)

Then I would hire an attorney to do all the visa, passport......

You need to get paid to go out to the job site and do evaluation. Are they willing to pay you for your first trip and your consultation?

fmtjfw

Once again, I have a company wanting me to quote work out of country. My fears are:
  2. Taxes?
  3. Visa's?
  4. Wages?

It is an industrial cement plant for an oil field service company, for whom, I dont' know yet. I would imagine Haliburton? The contractor, that I am proposing through, is a company that I am used to doing business with. But, they seem to jump in to stuff sometimes without thinking things out. So, I am thinking them out.

Lots of unknowns for me, as I have never been out of country, except for on a beach in Mexico with a Tecate in my hand. Any advice would be welcomed, if any of you have done this before.

here is a reference to "work permit rules": https://www.careersinholland.com/work-permit-netherlands.html

Huntxtrm

Depending on the size of the project, first question I would ask my self: Do I have the man power and the financial security to take my crew out of the country and provide cost for (Visa, food, lodging, tools, travel......)

Then I would hire an attorney to do all the visa, passport......

You need to get paid to go out to the job site and do evaluation. Are they willing to pay you for your first trip and your consultation?

Manpower yes,
financial security yes,
Site evalutation no, It is a typical plant that we install in the states.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Manpower yes,
financial security yes,
Site evalutation no, It is a typical plant that we install in the states.

it stops being a typical plant when it crosses a border, imho.

i'd not consider something like this until i'd seen what's involved
in working there, from the perspective of being there.

i just had to pass on a RTB on a project that was within sight of
my house, due to the logistics of the site... 20 miles away, and
the logistics were not workable for me. fuel dock on catalina island,
next to avalon ballroom.... you can damn near see it from here,
and if the logistics of that can make it unfeasible to attempt,
the netherlands is a lot farther than that....

"But, they seem to jump in to stuff sometimes without
thinking things out. So, I am thinking them out."

you answered your own question here.... do you want
your entire contract and payments to run thru someone
who doesn't plan?

Huntxtrm

In the past, projects with this company have been very profitable. But, because I took the time to think it through, before proposal. That is why I am asking the question on this forum. I am in the process of thinking it through. If it turns out, that it seems not profitable, I will pass on it. I fish for free, I don't work for free. lol

mgookin

2. Taxes?
  3. Visa's?
  4. Wages?

You say you've done business for them before. Are they GC and this is their SOP? Or are they an EC and want to shove the risk onto someone else? That's what came to mind when reading your post.

Huntxtrm

You say you've done business for them before. Are they GC and this is their SOP? Or are they an EC and want to shove the risk onto someone else? That's what came to mind when reading your post.

They are a general contractor.........SOP? I have been communicating with lots of people, about this job, in order to try and eliminate the risk...If there is significant unknowns, at time of proposal, I will decline... I fish for free, I don't work for free!LOL I am going to make sure all my bases are covered. Or, I wont send my company over there....

jumper

They are a general contractor.........SOP? I have been communicating with lots of people, about this job, in order to try and eliminate the risk...If there is significant unknowns, at time of proposal, I will decline... I fish for free, I don't work for free!LOL I am going to make sure all my bases are covered. Or, I wont send my company over there....

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure.

teufelhounden91

The benefits always seem to shine ahead of the cons. Are you willing to take a huge financial loss to your company to find out? How mitigated are the risks of losing your ass? Personally I would want to know that there is very little risk at all and that is what I would take my time focusing on is getting rid of those risks. The rest should be cake. As profitable as one job may be, one job can also sink a company. what percentage of your crew would you be sending out there? The whole company or a core group of guys? I would also be a little skeptical of excepting work overseas without ever looking at it. I would probably bid high for "insurance" and if I get it I get it if not then it wasn't meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.