Anyone have any reviews about the off-grid 3000W solar kit from Rocksolar?

markbron123

Occupation
traveller
I am planning to purchase an off-grid solar system for my cabin, and I have researched Rocksolar, an online shop, after carefully comparing the prices at other stores.Finally decided to purchase from them. Does anyone out there purchase any solar kits from them?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm allowing this thread since the OP is only asking for reviews.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
this place?
I am not seeing any systems with rapid shutdown, but I imagine they are all ground mount not roof mount.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Other than it sounds 'classier,' why do smaller solar systems call their battery packs 'Solar Generators?'

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I am not up on the panel technology but looking at the specs for the 200W panel
Seems lots of online sellers sell the same panel.
It also appears to be about 1480 X 670 mm or .99 square meters
and the q cells appears to be 2462 X 1144 or 2.82 square meters
200 / .99 = 202 W/m2
600/ 2.82 = 212 W/m2
So if I did the math right and data sheets are correct they are similar output per area.
price wise though a commercial panels look to be about $475 per panel or 80 cents a watt.
The 200W panels are sold for $239 individually or $1.20 per watt
I did not pick apart the price of the bundled kit so the may cost less as part of whatever kit the OP bought.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Smaller panels means more mounting parts and more points of failure in connectors. For residential rapid-shutdown compliant systems it also means more micro-inverters or optimizers or whatever. Perhaps handling smaller panels is an advantage for a DIYer.

A 10 year warranty with no 25 year performance guarantee is below industry standard.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I guess since its a 24 volt system rapid shutdown is not required as its always below 30 volts.

markbron123

Occupation
traveller
Thank you guys for the suggestions . I finally bought one from them. Still waiting to recieve it .https://rocksolar.ca/products/growatt-home-solar-storage-kit-5kw-energy-storage-with-2000w-solar-array , this is one .