Anyone have the 1999 NEC Handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

I don't have the '99 with me today. Does anyone know the requirements for in-use (bubble) covers on outdoor wet location GFCI's for 99? I do have the '96 code and 410-57(b) ex. allows a regular WP cover if it is for portable equipment. I seem to recall that this exception was removed, but I don't remember which code cycle

Thanks,

Mark

[ September 23, 2005, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: busman ]

pierre

Re: Anyone have the 1999 NEC Handy?

In the 99 NEC, this requirement is actually found in Art 410, Part L

410-57 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(b) Wet Locations.
(1) a recepatcle installed in a wet lcoation where the product intended to be plugged into it is not attended while in use(e.g., sprinkler system controllers,landscape lighting, holiday lighting, etc.) shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the attachment plug cap inserted or removed.

(2) a receptacle installed in a wet lcoation where the product intended to be plugged into it will be attended while inuse(e.g, portable tools, etc.) shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug cap is removed.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Re: Anyone have the 1999 NEC Handy?

Pierre,

Thanks for the info. So the exception from the '96 code was removed in 99? Sorry I edited my post to include the '96 reference while you were writing the reply.

Thanks,

Mark

[ September 23, 2005, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: busman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.