Anyone here bid a Dreamland BBQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
If so, just curious what they're going for with fixtures and gear. . . . no site work included.

I just priced one and got beat by 30%. . . . for reference this one was $20k material, $48k fixtures, $4k gear, 760 labor hours.

Just started bidding with this GC out of atlanta and i'm getting killed on everything i price for them.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If so, just curious what they're going for with fixtures and gear. . . . no site work included.

I just priced one and got beat by 30%. . . . for reference this one was $20k material, $48k fixtures, $4k gear, 760 labor hours.

Just started bidding with this GC out of atlanta and i'm getting killed on everything i price for them.

Is your bid being used for bait or do they seem interested in you doing the work? But at their price.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
They probably have someone that already does them and they know their price. Happens all the time in fast food restaurants. You probably have no chance of competing.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
They probably have someone that already does them and they know their price. Happens all the time in fast food restaurants. You probably have no chance of competing.

There are people who are really, really good at doing specific projects. They are very hard to compete with just because they are so good at it and have a lot of experience with the specific chores needed to do certain things.

They may not be especially competitive at other things, but for what they are really good at, they just cannot be beat.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
A little background on me..... The majority of what we do is restaurants, and for several large nationwide to nationwide brands. That said, most of you won't touch me on them, which is why I was so shocked to get my eyes beat out that bad. I was curious if anyone here has done a dreamland and what you did it for.

I bid an autozone for this same GC 2 weeks ago and got beat by 5-figures. Having just completed one of these jobs for another GC, I was pretty shocked by that also.

So I'm at the point where i don't know if I'm missing them by that much or if this new GC is using me as bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A little background on me..... The majority of what we do is restaurants, and for several large nationwide to nationwide brands. That said, most of you won't touch me on them, which is why I was so shocked to get my eyes beat out that bad. I was curious if anyone here has done a dreamland and what you did it for.

I bid an autozone for this same GC 2 weeks ago and got beat by 5-figures. Having just completed one of these jobs for another GC, I was pretty shocked by that also.

So I'm at the point where i don't know if I'm missing them by that much or if this new GC is using me as bait.

Well you kind of made my point. I'm sure that there is someone who does a lot of Dreamlands too.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

sounds like you are the 1 800 compare your bid number that he calls.

i had a HVAC contractor that i bid a ton of work for. never got any of it.
i ended up with some customers that he connected me with, so it was
worth it. at the time.

the final straw was when he called me to bid a $12k piece of work, or thereabouts.
went over, bid it. he redefined scope. bid it again. he redefined it a second, and a third time.
i rebid it each time.

then he had his crew put it in. he just needed a takeoff so he didn't have to.

his number is still in my phone, in the blocked silent ring section reserved for
online pharmacy telemarketers, and the electronic preacher who calls 3 times a day.

mgookin

What is the basis of your conclusion that you're getting beat by that much? Are you seeing actual bids?

rt66electric

Why don't you charge him for a quote???

sounds like you are the 1 800 compare your bid number that he calls.

i had a HVAC contractor that i bid a ton of work for. never got any of it.
i ended up with some customers that he connected me with, so it was
worth it. at the time.

the final straw was when he called me to bid a $12k piece of work, or thereabouts.
went over, bid it. he redefined scope. bid it again. he redefined it a second, and a third time.
i rebid it each time.

then he had his crew put it in. he just needed a takeoff so he didn't have to.

his number is still in my phone, in the blocked silent ring section reserved for
online pharmacy telemarketers, and the electronic preacher who calls 3 times a day.

I will bid this for you , but I am not interested in the job..... for $ XXXX.XX

think of it as easy money for you, and cost insurance for him.

people always hire an appraiser before buying real estate,

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

I will bid this for you , but I am not interested in the job..... for $ XXXX.XX

think of it as easy money for you, and cost insurance for him.

people always hire an appraiser before buying real estate,

it would have saved time, as he wouldn't have been willing to pay for a bid.
and it's ok... i'm sure he found someone else to "bid" his work.

lakeview100

Low bids

Low bids

Your Dreamland BBQ numbers seem right on. Is the fixture package from a national account? Any room in that number? The GC could be bluffing you into lowering your number.

If you did an Autozone and know where you came out, then the other super-low bidder will get hurt and will not be around long.

I had a GC tell me "You are $80k high" on a grocery store job I've done before. After they went with the "magically low bid", the contractor didn't show up to start the job!!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Your Dreamland BBQ numbers seem right on. Is the fixture package from a national account? Any room in that number? The GC could be bluffing you into lowering your number.

If you did an Autozone and know where you came out, then the other super-low bidder will get hurt and will not be around long.

I had a GC tell me "You are $80k high" on a grocery store job I've done before. After they went with the "magically low bid", the contractor didn't show up to start the job!!

Thanks for the info.

Fixtures weren't required to be purchased from a national acct.... I had three of my local suppliers quote them.

I wasn't comfortable moving on my number, and certainly not enough to be competitive with the low bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.