Apartment Building House Loads Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I know how to calculate dwelling units demand factor but what about house loads for a house panel in apartment building? What VA/sq ft should I use per NEC table 220.12?

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I know how to calculate dwelling units demand factor but what about house loads for a house panel in apartment building? What VA/sq ft should I use per NEC table 220.12?
Art. 220 p. III. for special loads references other parts of the code (e.g. elevator). For general lighting, you would use table 220.12. So for corridors, halls and stairways you'd calculate 1/2 VA/Sq ft. For storage spaces you'd calculate 1/4 VA / Sq ft, etc. Electric space heaters would be 100% continuous. No VA requirement for "convenience receptacles " but would be for a receptacle serving a specific load, like a sump pump.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Art. 220 p. III. for special loads references other parts of the code (e.g. elevator). For general lighting, you would use table 220.12. So for corridors, halls and stairways you'd calculate 1/2 VA/Sq ft. For storage spaces you'd calculate 1/4 VA / Sq ft, etc. Electric space heaters would be 100% continuous. No VA requirement for "convenience receptacles " but would be for a receptacle serving a specific load, like a sump pump.

How can there be no requirement for VA/sq ft for receptacles? Could I use 1VA/sqft for receptacles if I wanted to? Is it a judgment call on what VA/sqft for receptacles is?

DrSparks

Occupation
How can there be no requirement for VA/sq ft for receptacles? Could I use 1VA/sqft for receptacles if I wanted to? Is it a judgment call on what VA/sqft for receptacles is?
No. In residential, any receptacles that are not part of a special circuit, like the kitchen appliance circuits, laundry, bathroom GFI, are considered part of the general lighting circuits. So the VA/Sq ft applies to lighting and receptacles. You can have unlimited receptacles on these circuits. For lighting, you are limited by the maximum wattage rating ofbthe fixtures.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
No. In residential, any receptacles that are not part of a special circuit, like the kitchen appliance circuits, laundry, bathroom GFI, are considered part of the general lighting circuits. So the VA/Sq ft applies to lighting and receptacles. You can have unlimited receptacles on these circuits. For lighting, you are limited by the maximum wattage rating ofbthe fixtures.

Yea but but I’m talking about public light and power AKA house loads, not dwelling units.
Also, do you count motors at 100% demand when doing house loads?

MyCleveland

Bad advice I believe...public areas of an apartment complex do not fall under rules for the actual apartments themselves.

MyCleveland

Yea but but I’m talking about public light and power AKA house loads, not dwelling units.
Also, do you count motors at 100% demand when doing house loads?
Look over table 220.12 again.
Mptors....see 220.14C, probably should be reading all of 220.14 a few times over.

Do your apartment loads allow you to use 220.84 ?

DrSparks

Occupation
Bad advice I believe...public areas of an apartment complex do not fall under rules for the actual apartments themselves.
Right. That's why I advised looking at 220.12. There are specific VA/sq ft. rules for different areas.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Look over table 220.12 again.
Mptors....see 220.14C, probably should be reading all of 220.14 a few times over.

Do your apartment loads allow you to use 220.84 ?
Can't use 220.84 because there are gas ranges. Also 220.14C is not clear because those articles mentioned don't tell you what demand to do. Are motors considered 100% demand?

MyCleveland

Can't use 220.84 because there are gas ranges. Also 220.14C is not clear because those articles mentioned don't tell you what demand to do. Are motors considered 100% demand?
220.84…you can use if it benefits you. I am very sure your gear size will fall.
Read the exception that follows 220.84 A 2.

430.24 - follow 1-4. If you are looking for some multiplier that lets you reduce your total motor or hvac load by some percentage…it does not exist.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
220.84…you can use if it benefits you. I am very sure your gear size will fall.
Read the exception that follows 220.84 A 2.

430.24 - follow 1-4. If you are looking for some multiplier that lets you reduce your total motor or hvac load by some percentage…it does not exist.
If I do the exception, then all the apartment services will be too high which results larger wire and overcurrent protection because of adding the 8kw for range

MyCleveland

If I do the exception, then all the apartment services will be too high which results larger wire and overcurrent protection because of adding the 8kw for range
What does the first sentence of 220.84 say…
This is about sizing feeders to meter stacks and the overall service calc for the building.

What are you using for calculating these values ? 220 part 3 or part 4 ?
I believe you stated you had 140 apartments.
If you have a total apartment load calculated…let’s say 20kVa per unit x 140 = 2800kVA. Using table 220.84 let’s you knock that 2800 x .23 down to 644kVA.

Adding the 8kW per unit is just for the feeder and service calls to mimic them actually having an electric range which then gives you access to table 220.84.

MyCleveland

I forgot to ask, but you must also meet criteria of 220.84 A 1…meaning ALL apartment loads are served by apartment panel. In all of these threadsI don’t believe you ever mentioned have systems or hot water.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
This is about sizing feeders to meter stacks and the overall service calc for the building.

If you have a total apartment load calculated…let’s say 20kVa per unit x 140 = 2800kVA. Using table 220.84 let’s you knock that 2800 x .23 down to 644kVA.

Adding the 8kW per unit is just for the feeder and service calls to mimic them actually having an electric range which then gives you access to table 220.84.
I got to be the dumbest engineer out there lol! I can't believe I didn't realize this the key sentence...

For each individual apartments I used part 3 standard method to calculate my demand because of gas ranges, but I'm gonna use optional method to calculate the overall demand and mimic the 8kw range per unit to get the lower result.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I forgot to ask, but you must also meet criteria of 220.84 A 1…meaning ALL apartment loads are served by apartment panel. In all of these threadsI don’t believe you ever mentioned have systems or hot water.
Could you clarify what that condition actually means?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)

In your example you didn’t add the 8kva range per unit, shouldn’t it be 28kva per unit not 20kva like you said, am I missing something?

Last edited:

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Everything powered within the apartment, the source must be the apartment panel.

The 20kVA number was just a number…assumed the range load was already added in.
It was just to show you the value of gaining access to table 220.84.
Hot water is supplied by the building panel.
Also, I am getting a higher total demand doing the optional method… is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.