Apartment Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
How would you wire an apartment building where the land lord pays the bill? And in particular one where the select receptacles are on backup power (refrigerator, TV)? 2 panels in each flat seems extreme. Would you share any circuits between each unit?

Mag7dio

Occupation
Electrician
If the landlord is paying the utility bill, it doesn't matter either way. If this is new construction hallway panels serving multiple apartments would be the most cost effective way to wire it, the EM circuits can be shared between units.
Although landlord may regret not having provisions to make tenants pay there own in future.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Unless under continuous building management supervision, 240.24(B) requires that the occupant have access to the feeder and branch circuit OCPDs that supply their unit. That makes this installing a bit more difficult where there is an optional standby system.

Mag7dio

Occupation
Electrician
Unless under continuous building management supervision, 240.24(B) requires that the occupant have access to the feeder and branch circuit OCPDs that supply their unit. That makes this installing a bit more difficult where there is an optional standby system.
Correct, why all panels would need to be in Hallways, including the EM

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Wouldn't a common hallway panel be enough?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How would you wire an apartment building where the land lord pays the bill? And in particular one where the select receptacles are on backup power (refrigerator, TV)? 2 panels in each flat seems extreme. Would you share any circuits between each unit?
How much does two 100A panels cost? It might cost less to run two feeders to each apartment than to have a large load center out in the hallway and run separate branch circuits. You will have to have spaces for GFCIs and AFCIs that will take up a lot of room in the load centers in the hallway.

1591817185806.png

Mag7dio

Occupation
Electrician
How much does two 100A panels cost? It might cost less to run two feeders to each apartment than to have a large load center out in the hallway and run separate branch circuits. You will have to have spaces for GFCIs and AFCIs that will take up a lot of room in the load centers in the hallway.

View attachment 2552652
Although my choice would be to run a feeder to each unit and install a CB panel for them and then maybe use 1 EM panel to for all of them. I think 40 feeders might be excessive but it will depend on owners intent on the Generator? will it be complete comfort for units or just maybe Frig with 1 light and 1 receptacle?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Although my choice would be to run a feeder to each unit and install a CB panel for them and then maybe use 1 EM panel to for all of them. I think 40 feeders might be excessive but it will depend on owners intent on the Generator? will it be complete comfort for units or just maybe Frig with 1 light and 1 receptacle?

EM circuit is just the fridge, hall lights in the apartment itself and two living room receptacles for the TV.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

View attachment 2552652

I'll take your word on it. I've never crunched the numbers.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

Beat me to it (again!) Don, but what say we give 240.21 (B)(1) a gander?

~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I'll take your word on it. I've never crunched the numbers.
it's not rocket science. An all inclusive MDP w/dedicated 'critical loads panel', accessible to all tenants (community laundry area?) with a LOT of home runs , OR a lot of SER al home runs from a meter main(s) , oh and, subtract the 'house meter'.....~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
it's not rocket science. An all inclusive MDP w/dedicated 'critical loads panel', accessible to all tenants (community laundry area?) with a LOT of home runs , OR a lot of SER al home runs from a meter main(s) , oh and, subtract the 'house meter'.....~RJ~

Only one meter here... but certainly just as interesting if each unit was metered but you also needed backup power.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Link? I'm old school bro!

Hmmm, and i thought i was the guy always laggin' MBrooke :)
sure>
with or w/out solar>>
0616-jlc-energy-web-illo-01-revised.jpg

~RJ~

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If i want to keep the land lord as a repeat customer I would not share any circuits between each unit (Just to keep his/ her sanity)except for smokes in required.

Status
Not open for further replies.