Apartment Complex Corridor Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanF

Occupation
EIT
Hi All,

I am lost and confused... I have looked in the IECC and the NEC for specifics on design for a hallway, but I'm having trouble finding a concrete answer (which I find surprising.)

Should the hallway lights be always on? I would think yes. Occupancy sensors? I would think no.
Should the hallway lights be on a light switch? I would think no (not even sure that is allowed)? I would worry about someone turning them off.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this. I may be overthinking it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The hallway must always be illuminated when occupied. Daylight qualifies if it can get in.

How you accomplish this can vary. Reach out to your local building authority.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Where I used to work, there was one fixture always lit in the hallway, and 6 or 8 that were on 3 way switches (One at each end of the hall). I don't know if that would meet today's rules.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On our new apartment buildings the hallway lights are on 24/7. Every third light is an EM light backed up by a generator.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’m bidding a 168-unit apartment complex right now, and the interior corridors are on occ sensors. There are a few that are always on labeled as night lights. There’s an occ sensor within about 6’ of every apartment door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.