Apartment electrical service ground and bonding help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohms277

Power is coming underground up into a 600 amp. 2 pole fused disconnect. From the load side of this switch power goes into r/t gutter where it is pdb'd and feeds nine meter cans with 100 amp. disconnects beneath each meter. From each 100 amp. disconnect a #2/3 with #4 ground SER cable goes to a apartment. One of the meters is for the house. In each disconnect the ground and neutrals are seperated. A 1/0 grounding electrode conductor goes from the ground rod to the ground lug in the 600 amp. disconnect and then to the r/t gutter where it is attached to mechanical lug, and then (6) #6 have been taken to each meter sockets neutral terminal as per the electric utility's requirements. The grounding conductor is bonded to the neutral in the 600 amp. disconnect. Don't I now have a dual bonding situation? Is this safe and or legal?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

pete m.

If I understand what you have described correctly it appears that the 6awg conductor routed to the neutral terminal of the meter sockets would be in parallel with the neutral conductor of the feeder. At the least, I believe this would be a violation of 310.4.

Section 250.142(B) exc. 2 would allow the use of the grounded (neutral) conductor for bonding of the meter socket enclsure if all of the conditions of the exception are met.

Pete

ohms277

Section 250.24(A)(5)

Section 250.24(A)(5)

Isn't the utility company in non-compliance to the NEC in regards to this reference? I say they are.

pete m.

Isn't the utility company in non-compliance to the NEC in regards to this reference? I say they are.

As far as I know Utilities (electrical of course) typically use the NESC as a guideline not the NEC. Whether or not a violation of the NEC exists is dependent upon where the Service Point has been determined to be.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.