apartment three way

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys does anyone have a link to any sites that have a diagram of what i have herd been called an apartment three way where i think somehow the nuetrals and hot get reversed. been a long time since i have seen one i think they started in the north or have another name with a northern name like new york three way or something. its an obvious code violation but i about a year ago someone on here or elec toolbox had a good link. thanks
Christian

Re: apartment three way

thanks guys thats what i am looking for chicago was the name i herd before if anyone has anymore links to other picks it would be great i have a friend who i think has ran across something like this and i would like to e mail him the links
thanks Christian

tkb

What about the Vermont 3-way.

A pullchain in the center of the room and a string to an eybolt hanging next to the doors. :D :D :D

cselectric

Originally posted by electricman2:
Also called the Chicago 3-Way although I dont know where it got that name.
Take it from someone who's done a lot of service work in older housing in Chicago, and the North Shore burbs, the term "Chicago three way" is appropriate. They were used with great regularity in this neck of the woods, and many are still in service.

Incidentally, I've also heard it referred to as a "Farmers three way" and a "Cartwright."

jwelectric

Originally posted by tkb:
What about the Vermont 3-way.

A pullchain in the center of the room and a string to an eybolt hanging next to the doors. :D :D :D
Does the Blue Ridge Mountains go that far north?
This is the very set up that we had in the first house that I rented that had electricity.
Before that time there was a box of white head stick matches at each door.

rattus

How many strings does the Code allow on a pull chain?

Does it matter if the string is tied to the iron bedpost?

yelp the colman graphic was the one i was looking for thanks. i have been in a few older houses that a three way was wired like this i am guessing it weas a carry over from guys that use to wire the old knob and tube wireing and in a lot of these old houses or apartments i have also noticed when more than one light is on a single switch a few times they were wired in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.